Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

homade pedalboard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rekesbass, Mar 31, 2001.

1. I was lookin at some "manufactured" pedalboards and am quite appauled at the prices they get for a cheap piece of carpet covered plastic with a power supply(namely skb).so I've come to the conclusion that I'm gonna build my own,and was wondering if anyone has any ideas they would like to share.I plan to use a Boss tu2 as a power supply.any comments\ideas are welcome..thanx in advance

2. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    My guitarist built one for himself.

He has a Rocktron All Access Pedal, a Digitech Whammy and about 4 Boss pedals so it was pretty big. I think he made it out of a old rifle case. Its the perfect size and theirs almost no rim on the lid side, so he bought a huge thing of velcro and attached all his pedals to the inside of the lid.

3. I have 3 pedal boards that I made to fit specific pedals and the size of carrier that I had made out of found or recycled items. I suggest that you decide on a size find a carrier and get a piece of plywood cut to the size you need and paint it with semigloss paint of your color, maybe something other than black pleez! I have a small aluminum one that has room for a EHX Bass Balls and a Zoom 506 and power supplies that fits in a briefcase or even a gig bag pocket. The 'Green board' fits in a soft Mint Bag keyboard case and has room for 6-10 pedals depending on how big and a tuner and power supply, I am in the process of putting it back in working order. The 'surf board' is actually a cut down sectiuon of an old surfboard that rides in a bass case, it has room for a dozen or more pedals plus vol & Wah pedals, tuner power supply and also doubles as a microphone boom stand base, currently in retirement. A small confession here I used to assemble pedal boards for touring musicians and found that the most dependable and adaptable power supply was to use a Boss PSM-5 and it is also a loop selector for attachment velcro is great for pedals that you have to pull off from time to time but double sided foam mounting tape is a lot more secure for travelling and theft prevention. I also really like to use George L cable and ends, you can cut the cable to the length you need for a particular run and assemble with a screw driver, no stinky soldering or burnt fingers. Sorry for the long answer but maybe someone will appreciate it.

4. The rifle case idea is neat.

I don't use effects but understand their place in our music. About all I can offer are some general ideas on fabrication - my specialty!

If you intend to use a double sided foam tape for anything in this project, there is only one type that is suitable - White VHB tape from 3M. This is one of the VHB (Very High Bond) series that is designed for things like the automotive industry to put trim and emblems on cars. It is as permanent a mounting as you can get in a foam tape. Be careful.

Don't use particle board anywhere. This stuff deteriorates with moisture and, although you probably don't plan to get the board wet, the drunk with the 16 oz. pilsner probably has a different approach. Plywood, especially exterior grades will be stronger and can take a beating better than most other wood products.

How about building a rack system for your amp and rack effects and make a cover/door that doubles as your pedal board?

If you build a "hollow" board, you can run the connecting cables and other wiring in the void between the layers keeping the top surface very clean.

Try integrating a small light in the board for dark stage work. You could even use some of the vinyl lighting cord available from Home Depot. This is a series of small "grain-o-wheat" bulbs cast into a clear vinyl cable. All you do is attach a cord on the end and they all light up. You could run this across the top of your board to light up the settings.

Don't forget a good, bright tuner in your line-up of effects. You don't want to have to unplug to replug into a handheld, then do it all over again between songs.

Maybe there's an idea you can use in here somewhere

5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I've made a couple of pedal boards out of milk crates. I cut the tops down, and used wire and small blocks of wood to attach them to the bottom. They were very solid, and could easily be removed and rewired if needed. I wired a six-outlet power strip and attached the wall warts with cable ties. I mounted input and output jacks on the side. Low tech and ugly, but effective.

6. thanx for your creative ideas...bassbrad,your answer was not too long,in fact it was quite informative and I do appreciate it...internalprimate,the gun case is a cool idea,but a little large for my needs(mmmmmm....a handgun case would be about right.)beside I wouldnt wanna take any love away from my rifle(no I'm not from Waco..;) ..Hambone,the "wheat lights" is a real good idea,the lighting issue completley slipped by me...(maybe I could mak'em chaser lights...groovy;).particle board was not even a option,I was already thinkin marine grade pressure treated plywood.which would also help with warpage...bassbrad,why a psm5?..I don't need the extra loops and was gonna use a tu2 for power AND have a tuner(kill two birds with one stone)or is this not a good idea..(p.s. I already bought the tuner).Thanx again for all your ideas,I have lots of useful stuff here...time to get building that board...later...