1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Home amp recomendations ...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassguitar, Apr 13, 2006.

1. So my Technics amp bit it. Almost 500.00 to repair ain't worth it. So I find my self looking for a new amp.

Here's what I've got to hook it up to:

Technics LSPD988 CD Changer (RCA)
    JVC XV511BK DVD Player (RCA/SVid Component/Optical)
    Explorer 8300 Cable PVR box (RCA/SVid)

The DVD player will likely be upgraded in the future, however the best input that the TV has is SVideo. It's a 36" Sony. Still not time to replace it yet, so I want the amp to be able to have an SVid monitor output, and component switching for the future. I've got all the speakers I need and a powered Sub, and I'd like it to be able to run the B channel (outside on the deck speakers) at the same time as the A.

Front spkrs are B&W towers. Center is B&W. Sub is an 10" paradigm. Rears and B channel right now are Koss indoor/outdoor but they will be changed in the near future.

Any suggestions? Right now I seem to be partial to the Yamaha RX-V457 (449.00 CDN) seems to have what I need + some room for the future (ie: component in/outs once I upgrade the TV), but I may want something cheaper.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Until I get a bass, I am running my home theater system off my iAMP800. I'm using my Bergantino HT210S in the mix as well. The scary thing about it is that I am getting used to the awesome sound quality. I may need to buy another 800 and Berg for my bass rig.

-Mike

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    There are so many choices in your price range and the field is so competitve that you really can't go wrong. Personally I don't like Yamahas much, Pioneer and Onkyo both have performed fantastic in my house with my B&W 602s.

4. +1 Pioneer and/ or Onkyo. I had the same Onkyo amp for over 10 years. I never needed to change it. I have other Pioneer components that Ive replaced because they were outdated, not because of malfunction.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    BTW you're looking for a receiver not an amp.