Home at last.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by sabre79, Jan 14, 2022.

1. I just finished an 8 day stint at St. Mary's Medical Center in Apple Valley, Ca. Basically, one night, I went to the bathroom with explosive diarrhea. I looked back in the toilet and it was a solid deep maroon red. It looked like my whole insides just came out. After 20 minutes, it happened two more times. I literally said to myself, "I guess it's all over." Then I got myself out of the house and drove to the emergency room. I was feeling faint so they put me on saline while I was waiting for a CT Scan. After all the tests they found I've got diverticulosis. I could not wait to get out of there.

This Covid thing is terrible. I was packed in an ICU visitor waiting room with 6 other patients. They're not using these waiting rooms because of Covid and they're filling them with non-covid walking wounded overflow patients.

While I was in the hospital, they also found that I'm a borderline diabetic. They tested me with the finger prick at least 2 times a day and administered a total of 3 insulin shots the whole time I was there. I don't have a doctor and I don't have medical insurance but I qualified for emergency Medi-Cal. I am applying for regular Medi-Cal so that I can get a doctor and start to take care of myself better.

If I am a diabetic and I am going to have to start testing myself, where do you guys and gals prick yourselves? In the hospital, I only allowed them to prick the fingers on my right hand that I don't use for playing. I did ask the different nurses if there are other places that people prick themselves but none of them gave me any real answer.

After nine days of not playing, I picked up a bass and the first thing I noticed was my plucking finger nails were too long. LOL. Pretty much fumble fingers for a bit but getting back into it.

Thanks for your time.

2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    My father is a T1 diabetic and uses a Freestyle Libre to measure his blood sugar. It's attached to your upper arm, has to be switched every two weeks, but allows for constant monitoring (via phone or standalone reader) and avoids the need to prick yourself all the time. I'd recommend you look into this, it may be just what you never knew you wanted.

DrThumpenstein, wildman2 and sabre79 like this.
  3. Gluvhand

Gluvhand Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Rockland County, NY
    If you rotate fingers you can prick any/all of them. It heals ridiculously fast. On my fretting hand, I prick the meaty pad as I tend to use the tops of my fingers for fretting. Again, just don't keep pricking the same spot.

fhm555, Aqualung60, CTW68 and 2 others like this.
  4. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I was prediabetic for a while and did regular fingersticks. I used the sides of my fingers just below the fingernail. It's an area that isn't callused from playing so it's easy to break through to get the droplet you need, and it doesn't bother my playing any. Do a different finger each time.

Through a combination of low carb diet and weight loss I was able to fight back diabetes and now am no longer having issues with insulin resistance. I need to watch my weight carefully though. Best of luck to you.

5. Gluvhand

Feb 19, 2014
    Rockland County, NY
    Unless you're an insulin dependent type 2, or type 1 as your dad is, the insurance companies rarely approve the Libre type. I'm a garden variety type 2 and couldn't get one unless I paid out of pocket.

LBS-bass likes this.
  6. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hmm, that's too bad. It's covered by health insurance where I live (even though getting the insurance companies to do so is sometimes a bit of a bureaucratic hassle). I know my dad wouldn't want to go back to pricking -- but I don't know if he'd say the same if he had to pay for it himself.

Gluvhand likes this.
  7. Thanks for your reply. Makes sense.

Gluvhand likes this.
  8. Thanks for your reply. It's fantastic that you were able to fight back diabetes. My sister did the same thing. I got a real wake up call here. I'm certainly going to do whatever I can nutrition wise to fight it back.

9. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    It was not easy, I had to be very vigilant about monitoring my glucose and keeping my carbs extremely low. But I did it!

10. I was a complete sugar and carb junkie. It's not going to be easy.

LBS-bass likes this.
  11. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I'm a type 2 diabetic. If you're borderline, that's relatively good news - if you eat the right things (keto is the word you're looking for) and get regular activity, you can probably have normal blood sugars and live as long and as healthy as if you weren't diabetic. The key is not to try to figure out what you can "get away with", you want to figure out what the healthiest things you can eat are, and eat those. Use your meter - listen to what the data tells you, you'll figure it out.

I prick the 3 smallest fingers on my left hand (I'm right handed). I have really tough callouses, and sometimes I have to work a bit to get blood out. It doesn't interfere with my playing (I practice 2 to 3 hours a day) at all - it's just not an issue. I know some folks get weirded out about having to prick their finger, but for me, it's just something I do - the continuous monitors that they put on your arm would weird me out way more than a finger stick here and there.

You and not only survive this, but thrive despite it, so long as you figure out what works, and go with that.

Jim Kernan, sabre79 and LBS-bass like this.
  12. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Welcome to your new diet, which includes steak, bacon, and.. a lot of non starchy vegetables. There is no diet on the planet that restricts the amount of broccoli you can eat, and you can put butter on it. It's not all bad

13. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    This is good advice and pretty much exactly what I did. I had to figure out how much carbohydrate I could eat in one meal before causing a blood sugar spike, and then once I learned what that number was I had to make sure no meal I ate contained more carbs than that.

If you read up on it, you find that even modest blood sugar spikes can cause enormous vascular damage, so you really want to keep those spikes from happening at all, if you can. The problem with this is that much of the monitoring we do (a1C) and advice we're given looks more at averages, and you'll never avoid vascular damage if you are averaging spikes against lows. It's healthier to monitor every meal and keep the spikes from happening at all, and it's also the only way to avoid (in my opinion) crossing over to full-blown diabetes.

Once again, my opinion only, but our current mainstream medical advice tends to drop the ball on this. If I'd followed only the advice I got from my doctors, I'd be diabetic now. I tapped into a good community of patients and got much better advice there.

sabre79 likes this.
  14. Gluvhand

Feb 19, 2014
    Rockland County, NY
    Lol. Then cholesterol can go up as I found out.

15. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    Happens to me every time I eat beets.

westrock likes this.
  16. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    My dad had diverticulitis in the mid 80’s. I remember he had to wear a colostomy bag for what seemed like an eternity, but then even 5 minutes feels like an eternity to a 6 year old.

17. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    oohh man...sorry to hear, my wife was just diagnosed with it...tho luckily not bleeding.. I guess i'll get to eat all the "good food" now...lol

But as far as pricking the finger, what about the thumb? Unless your a slap player, what bout the fretting thumb?

18. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    I gather you did not have a colonic resection.

Diverticulosis is perfectly normal in anyone over 60 (and some younger like myself). I assume you had a pretty nasty case of diverticulitis, and for some amazing reason managed to escape having part of your colon removed.

I did not.

ajkula66 likes this.
  19. blacktocomm

blacktocomm Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2013
    West By God
    My brother has diverticulosis. Awful stuff.
    I’m a diabetic and I usually stick myself on the outside of my left index finger. I can’t stand being stuck in the tips of them.
    Hope everything works out for you.

20. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

I am a fairly advanced type II diabetic. I prick my fingers just to the left side of the callouses. Thumbs don't really matter.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2022