home audio speaker as a cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peaveyuser, Jul 8, 2008.

1. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Inactive

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    well there is some guy around here who is selling two 8 ohm speaker cabs from the late 80's for about 25$ each. Each cab can take 300 watts and has about a 12 inch speaker. If I were to run my head (which is 180watts at 8ohms) through it would it be decent? All I'm looking for is something for home as my other cab is at the drummers place, this way i'd only need to carry my head back and forth.

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I personally woudn't chance it as bass tends to hurt everything other than bass or PA cabs but at $25 each, it isn't going to be that costly a mistake.

I would look for a used Peavy, Hartke or even Behringer cab instead. You should be able to find something in the $100 range. Hell, even a solid Ampeg 2x10 or 1x15 can now be had for $250 or so used.

Personally, I practice with 2 bands and leave a 2x10 at each jam spot. I gig with a Sadowsky 4x10 which I also use at home. There is definately something to be said about just showing up with a gig bag to rehearsal!

3. Yeah, you'll blow the piss out of that cabinet, I would think -- a bass's signal just contains too much whoomp.

4. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    It's probably not a good idea.

Home audio stereo speakers are not designed to take musical instrument signals especially electric bass.
    Someone who's more of a tech head can explain why better than me.Home audio speakers are not as heavy duty.I've fried a couple sets of them by running a bass through them even at low volume.I wouldn't try to use them in a band/practice situation.
    If you just want to practice at home consider some cheap headphones.

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    You should try to find out (and post) the brand/model-# and approximate box size of these speakers.
    (some will work allot better than others as bass cabs)

I'd also suggest you thoroughly try any cab your considering with your amp/bass before purchasing.

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

You will destroy a hi-fi cab with bass. Those drivers are not designed to take the large in-out excursion needed by bass instruments. Same goes for guitar cabs.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Not necessarilly. A good hi-fi woofer will have twice the excursion capability of an electric bass woofer, if not more. But hi-fi drivers run on average 10dB too low in sensitivity for instrument use.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021