Home brew cabs...any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bigwan, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hi All,

I'm looking into buying an extension cab for my Ashdown ABM c110 300 and was wondering if any of you guys had tried building one yourselves?
    I'm thinking of either a 2x10" or a 2x12", but wouldn't rule any other configurations out.

Does anyone know of any sites on the net with information on the subject?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Building a cab is not necessarily cheaper than buying, especially when you don't have any experience.

But check out bgavin's webpage, you can find it in his profile.
  3. lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    I built my own 4X10 cab a couple years ago (with the help of my Dad) it cost about 400 pounds, most of which went on the speakers. You don't have to have great woodworking skills, but you do need a few of the right tools, and above all a lot of time.

we built it over the period of 6 weeks, and it's very important to research, and plan what your going to do.

We took the most time in finishing it (ie making it look cool) covered it in black carpet, and a solid black grill.

Even up close it looks proffesional, and it sounds fantastic. We spent a lot of time thinking about the tuning of the cab with the porting.

For me it was a money saver, and a great fun project!

If you have the time and effort then it's well worth it.

perhaps i'll post some pictures of it in the different stages of building it (if i can find them)