1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Home Built Bass - A fully illustrated website!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Hambone, Jul 21, 2001.

1. I thought that some of you would be interested in this site.

http://larenzo.home.mindspring.com/bass1.html

This is a well illustrated, step by step, process of how a custom home built bass is put together. The builder, Larry Clinton, is a regular contributor to the Musical Instrument Makers Forum (www.mimf.com for short) and his work is some of the best I've seen from an amateur luthier. By amateur, I only mean that he doesn't make his living building guitars, it is in no way a slam on his product. This bass is a real beaut! It's also one of the few blue ones that I would consider owning.

Give it a look.

2. =^..^=

=^..^= Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Thanks for posting the link - thats a real nice bass, and a real nice site. Plenty of info there.

Respect to Larry - top job, lovely finish.

3. KIN

KIN

Jul 17, 2001
    U.K.
    Makes you wonder what you could come up with if you had a go.
    See you later guys i'm off to build me a bass.

4. That is a very well documented site on home build bass. I salute the builder! Very patient, carefull guy. I feel like building my own bass now....but i know it's not easy at all!! So good luck dude!

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If he'd make one for me, I show him how to put strings on right, (pg. 9).

That's cool he put that up and that you gave us a heads up, on it Ham, thanks very much.

6. It does look kinda funny isnt it?:)

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

arvid - In the punk days, I never cut the excess off my strings. I was using a Precision, so I had four string ends about 7 inches long each, sticking out in all directions from the headstock. I thought it looked cool at the time, (plus, I was changing strings 2-3 times a week).

I bet doing that will be considered cool again soon.