Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Home Built Bass - A fully illustrated website!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Hambone, Jul 21, 2001.

1. I thought that some of you would be interested in this site.

http://larenzo.home.mindspring.com/bass1.html

This is a well illustrated, step by step, process of how a custom home built bass is put together. The builder, Larry Clinton, is a regular contributor to the Musical Instrument Makers Forum (www.mimf.com for short) and his work is some of the best I've seen from an amateur luthier. By amateur, I only mean that he doesn't make his living building guitars, it is in no way a slam on his product. This bass is a real beaut! It's also one of the few blue ones that I would consider owning.

Give it a look.

2. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Thanks for posting the link - thats a real nice bass, and a real nice site. Plenty of info there.

Respect to Larry - top job, lovely finish.

3. KIN

KIN

Jul 17, 2001
    U.K.
    Makes you wonder what you could come up with if you had a go.
    See you later guys i'm off to build me a bass.

4. That is a very well documented site on home build bass. I salute the builder! Very patient, carefull guy. I feel like building my own bass now....but i know it's not easy at all!! So good luck dude!

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If he'd make one for me, I show him how to put strings on right, (pg. 9).

That's cool he put that up and that you gave us a heads up, on it Ham, thanks very much.

6. It does look kinda funny isnt it?:)

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

arvid - In the punk days, I never cut the excess off my strings. I was using a Precision, so I had four string ends about 7 inches long each, sticking out in all directions from the headstock. I thought it looked cool at the time, (plus, I was changing strings 2-3 times a week).

I bet doing that will be considered cool again soon.