Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Home built effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Metallideth, May 30, 2004.

1. Metallideth

Metallideth

Feb 19, 2004
    not sure if i should put this here, but i know some of you TBers love building your own effects would any body be intrested in building me a bigg muff and a morley power wah and how much would you charge?

2. Metallideth

Metallideth

Feb 19, 2004
    bumpage

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

The wah would probably cost more to build.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You'd be better off looking for good used ones...or broken used ones (cheap) and having someone repair them for you.

I presume that Morley's pedals are built about they same way that they always were and it would be tough to duplicate cheaply.

Used brand-name pedals will have predictable resale value, home-built is a crap shoot.

5. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I have been building some effects as well as some other electronic gizmos. DIY is not the way to go if you want to save money. If the stomp box is still being made, buy it in the store. If it isn't being made anymore, then you may concider going DIY.
    The thing is that while the effect circuit itseld may not be much (simpler effects such as wah and fuzz can easily be built with $10 worth of parts) the expenses lie in the mechanics. An aluminum case, the footswitch, the pots and knobs, the jacks, and in the case of a wah pedal the pedal assembly itself will be probably as expensive as a complete wah pedal in the store - unless you cannibalize another wah pedal, but then what's thew point? :)
    AFAIK the Big Muff is still (or again) in production, and so is the Morley wah pedal, isn't it? So you'd be better off to buy it in the store, and if you need to save money, look for second-hand units.

6. if your talking about the old huge chrome power wah that cliff burton and such used, theres always 3-4 floating around on ebay.