home demos, what gear to get?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by RS, Oct 15, 2002.

1. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm going to record demos of song ideas I have to give to the rest of my band for them to learn. What must I buy to do this? I'm thinking a small tape 2 or 4 track, headphones, a mic, anything else? Anyone have any exact recommendation of gear to buy?

It doesn't have to be the greatest quality but it must be user friendly.
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
  3. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've had a Yamaha MT-50 4-track tape recorder for quite a few years (they probably don't still make them, but there'll be an equivalent) - ideal for the sort of thing you've mentioned - along with a mic, mic stand, headphones, and maybe a jack lead or 2. With the one I have, you also need a phono lead to mix it down to an ordinary cassette (the MT-40 does use ordinary cassettes, but it records at double speed, and uses both sides to get all 4 tracks, so obviously you can't play the master tape on a normal tape player). That means you also need a normal tape recorder with a phono input. I would imagine you'd find 2 tracks too limiting - I'd go for a 4 track if I were you - you'd be surprised how versatile they can be. After all, Sgt Pepper was recorded using 4 tracks! I once recorded a version of Bohemian Rhapsody on my 4-track - 6 part vocals, drums, bass, piano, and 2 guitars. All done by bouncing. It wasn't quite up to the standard of Queen's original, though! :)
  4. MrBungle3

May 16, 2002
    Along with what was alreay stated, get a metranome to keep the tracks that you lay down in time. That helps 10000% in any recording (and practicing too)
  5. For the last few months I've been using a Roland 2480 workstation for recording it's gotta tonne of inputs 24 channels, and internal effects units. I also have some nice Rode mics. the NT1000, NT3 and the twin-head NT5 stereo mic.