Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Home Fret job: help please

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ArtisFallen, Sep 11, 2004.

1. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    so i'm making this home-brew bass, and it's got to the point where frets are making a scar on my mind. i've got them hammered into the board, and squared up with the edges, and now i've come to dressing and leveling, and for some reason i can't find a tutorial online that doesn't require about ten highly priced tools that i wont use ever in the near future.

I've come to believe that the people here, in all their collective glory, know everything. anyone know anything about this?

2. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    You can use a standard mill file to put the bevel on the side of the frets and board. For levelling you can use a piece of glass from a local window place ($FREE-$5) with some sand paper carefully double stick taped or spray adhesived down. I don't know of anyway to cheat crowning the frets, but if you did a very good job putting them into a near perfect board you wont need to level much and in theory wont need to crown them. For polishing the frets I use a piece of soft plastic... I think the piece I have now is from an old laundry detergent bottle. Good luck.

[​IMG]

3. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Another cheap alternative that's slightly less breakable is to go to a place where they sell stone tile for floors and countertops. Buy one 12"x12" polished marble or granite tile and have them cut it for you on their tile saw into 12"x3" pieces. They are generally quite flat and work well with adhesive-backed sandpaper.