Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Home Made Bass Progress Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CamMcIntyre, Jan 10, 2004.

1. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Ok-i dug up my old thread and deleted it. So here's my In Progress Thread.

Specs

• 5 String
      Unlined Freltess
      Singlecut
      black hardware
      Bolt On
      My own shape-mix of JP Plume SC & Ray5
    Stuff I have Bought/Specs Con't

• Black Limba Body-Gallery Hardwoods
      Stabilized Black Limba FB-'' waiting on a call back
      Maple Neck-Warmoth
      2 Way Expanding Truss Rods-''
      Steel Stiffening Rods''
      SD MM5 pickup and circuit-''
    Stuff I still need to buy

• Bridge-undecided-torn between spending $80 and $40
      Tuners-thinkin GB7s
      Neck Plate
      nut
      Tung Oil
      jack plate
      control cavity plate
      string tree
    The body is my own shape and i'm using my Ray5s neck as the design/goal of the neck i'm building. My uncle is a cabinet maker/wood worker so I am asking him for help with some of the work. E.g. routing.

I've been working on a body design since July or Augustish.

I do have a website up that has more details on it. www.geocities.com/cembasses

Once i get the bridge in, I can do some of the final prep work and then start in. I have dimensions and examples to use for the bulk of the project. E.g. i have a full size cheapie version in my shop. Particle Board Body, 2X4 that has been shaped to size [minus headstock shape], haven't done any routing on it.

That's all and I'll post pics once i get the camera developed.

Cam

2. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
  3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Ok-updates. :) I know it's been awhile, but hey i'm working slow.

Updates are:

Bridge: Individual ones from Custom Shop Parts

Body is now cut out and has a very rough sanding done on it. I need to go out and buy more sand paper and a new sanding head for my dremel and then i can do more. I messed up in 2 spots on it though. 1 is on the upper horn the back side, a chunk of wood came off that i wasn't intending to but it doesnt' affect the shape at all [it's on the back side right about @ the spot where the back becomes the side]. The other in on the back side, lower bout-same position on the wood, this part will be contoured a bit more.

Overall i think it has been a success thus far. I think i am buying my tuners this week.

I'll take a picture, but it'll probably be the end before i get them up. Sorry-no digital camera and i'm not gonna develope a roll of film w/only 10 shots on it out of 24.

That's all

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Cliff-nice website and i like what i saw. :) Keep it going.

That's all

forgot this one part: i got the stabilzed BL board.

5. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
  6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Thanks Keith, the thing is-the picture i have up on my website isn't what i ended up using. The shape that's on my site to me looks cool except it isn't playable enough. E.g. the lower horn had major problems. Once i get the disposable cameras developed I'll post more pics. That's all

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Update:

Ok-the body is now sanded, shaped, and ready for drilling and routing.

I'm waiting on life to slow down a bit so that i can get out to either my uncle's house or my mom's friend who said he'd help me house so that i can get the truss rod and steel rod chanels routed into the neck.

I'm debating if i'm going to cut the neck and fingerboard to size before or after i get them joined, i can see pros and cons of both. Pro for before: i can do some shaping before the thing is glued, i could finish the neck without worrying about getting anything on the FB, Con: risk of not quite lining up [hopefully can minimize this risk]. Right now, i'm leaning towards cutting them separately.

That's all-i'm hoping to have this done by April, but won't be disappointed if it's later than that.
    :D

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Update:

I cut the fingerboard and am working on the neck. I think the next one, i'll get a prefab neck. :)

9. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Pics now on the website. :D

10. Hey Cam, Good work on a very ambitious first build.

Here's a tip - Don't start putting deadlines on your work. This isn't a bass for a client (I assume) so it isn't important to finish it on any given date. This is important, as the psychological effect of missing dates can begin to eat at you. Just build at your own pace, learning each step as you go. You don't have to hurry because of some arbitrary date and you can make changes and improvements to the design without the additional pressure. Without a deadline, you won't be tempted to shortcut something. Get the absolute full experience and you'll have a better instrument.

Besides, in my experience (not a lot, I know) you probably aren't going to be able to put a precise date on completion until you get 99% of the finish done. I haven't been able to yet. :D

11. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I get what you're saying Hambone. I've had the date change on there so many times. E.g. it went from an ambitious 3 months after start to i think i have it set on October of this year now. :D Thanks for the advice though. A phrase/idea that i've been trying to stick to is i want it to turn out well so i'd rather not have it finished until i'm in college yet have it be a well made, good playing, good sounding bass vs. getting it done tomorrow and it just being marginal/bad. Thanks for the comments though.

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Hey-long time no update. Pics are coming-i need to get new batteries for my digital camera and then they will be on my website.

I ended up getting preslotted GraphTech 5 string nuts from Exotic Hardwoods.

I just completed the first assembly. The neck itself is done-it's oiled, the head stock has a satin clear coat on it-i signed the head stock in silver paint marker [an idea i got from Don Z.]. The tuners are installed, the nut is installed, i will be installing the string retainer tonight.

The body-is completely routed. The places that i think are obvious indicators that it is my first bass are where i had to do routing. Bridges [i'm using individuals] are installed-i need to run a wire to connect them all so i can just have 1 wire going to the control cavity to ground them. Once i disassemble the bass i will be oiling it w/tung oil.

Hopefully-this will be completely finished within the next 2 weeks.

That's all

13. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    lookin sweet man, wish mine was coming along as fast as yours!

damn hand sanding out dips from my routing, bleh

14. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    fast???? I've been working on this bass for the past year. :)

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Yet another update.

I've got the fingerboard polished and everything. I sanded to 320 grit [larry said to go to 220-but i went a bit further] and then used brown tripoli polish w/a cotton head thingy attached to my drill press. I like how the fingerboard looks. As soon as i get some money for batteries [humor me-i've been goin cheap so i can buy all the smaller stuff i want/need] i will post pics of the fingerboard and the body.

The body has 5 coats of tung oil. The plan right now is to apply 7. The coats have been of oil straight from the container-no thinning so far. The black limba has taken on a nice carmel like color-like mahogany w/more brown in it.

Well-i'm off to work @ the mall for a few hours.

That's all