Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Home Made bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Jul 24, 2002.

1. im thinking about wasting my next school holidays with a friend making myself a bass, hes the one with the wood work skill so i was wondering have any of you tried to do this before? it will be a raw wood finish, 24 fret four string........thats if it works. if any of you out there in bass land have any comments or advice for me please answer this forum..........Thanks fellow musicians heath..

2. I'd check out the Musical Instrument Makers forum over at www.MIMF.com
    Also, check out the Luthiers Corner over in the pros forum. You'll find lots of info over there by other guys building their own basses.

Good luck building a bass, it can be a lot of fun.

I'm working on building a body, but I'm too scared to try building a neck :D so I'm looking inot aftermarket necks.

3. Don't forget warmoth.com! You can buy tons of supplies there.

4. hi again
    thanks for the help.....i left a post at the mimf place and im looking at the necks now at warmoth i decided im not gonna make the neck i would like to design the head though and the body im going to design as well.....ive got two in mind 1. a raw wood finish steinberger looka alike but with a head or 2.a wierd carl thompson type design with a white body and the rhcp red asterix thingy on it.......cool huh well thanxs again heath