1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Home made chamered body - doable?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim C, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I (like many of you) have a bunch of parts kicking about and one is a no name Jazz body that's kind of heavy.

I'm not exactly sure how comapnies chamber a body without a laminated top but Sadowsky has some super lightweight bodies that are painted.

This alder body (orange one) #5229 weighs 7.7 lbs
    http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/nyc_b_rs.html

I'm assuming that you would not want to rout anyewhere from the neck pocket toward the bridge and that maybe some of the cuts occur at the top rear of the body (where your right forearm crosses) as this area would offere the biggest weight savings.

So, is there any science to this, and, how do you cover this routed area so that there is no line in the paint?

For you Sadowsky owners, what is the difference in tone from a identical NY basses with and without chambered bodies?
    I'm assuming these feather weights are in fact chambered.

Thanks in advance.

2. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Bump for Sadowsky owner advice.