1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Home Made Preamp pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DISCOSTUVW, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Has anyone here built their own preamp pedal (like the battle bass attack, etc)? I am interested in trying to build one myself.

2. I guess so, just EQ and drive in different boxes.

3. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    You can make a pedal preamp out of a pedal-only schematic, or you can make an onboard preamp and put it into a pedal box. People have, for instance, made a MusicMan preamp and put that in a box and it works great.

4. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
  5. The OP of that thread is a tool, but he seems to have had a good idea for once in his life.

:bag:

6. Wow! Thanks for all the responses everyone. Exactly what I was looking for :)

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
  8. I'm sorry to sound ignorant, but where did you guys get your parts?

9. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    I use Tayda for the electronics because they seem to have just about all of the standard components and a good selection of op amps. The website is ridiculously easy and their shipping is based on how much you order, not flat ~$8 like some other sites. Their hardware is so-so. The jacks (male and female) are horrible. Never again.

Pedalpartsplus seems good for hardware and enclosures.

I've heard good things about eBay. :bag:

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Mainly mouser.com but Small Bear Electronics (https://www.smallbearelec.com/) specializes in parts for pedals.

11. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    I'll give a big +1 to small bear as well as pedal parts plus. Both are awesome and IME are very fast with shipping.