1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Home made preamp question...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LukeFRC, Jun 27, 2012.

1. LukeFRC

LukeFRC

Mar 15, 2012
    Scotland
    Hello!

A while back I was trying to find out if it was possible to build a alembic/wal/acg-a-like filter based preamp to run off 9volts....
    I found out it would be but given I couldn't find a schematic someone else had made I figured it would probably be beyond my expertise....

but what I did find was a massive long thread where a load of guys were using the forum to design and build their own preamp, more a standard type, it was modular I think.... fascinating thread... and I've just spent over an hour typing every single search query into the search box, and on google.... and can't find it!
    Any help?

Luke

2. The thread is titled 'TB11 Preamp Project'. I don't know how to post a link to it from my tablet app.

3. LukeFRC

LukeFRC

Mar 15, 2012
    Scotland
    amazing! Thank you sir! :D

looks like an interesting build
    if anyone else has any interesting suggestions I'm all ears.

4. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    TB11 is great preamp and the OP there really explained every single step throughout the build, from system analysis to the board itself.

As for the SVF preamp, look around the net for the cAMPus preamp - that's a schematic of an Alembic SVF clone.

5. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    I haven't even built any yet (waiting to get money to order parts) but I've got three designs (2EQ preamp, 3EQ preamp, 30Hz highpass filter to make better use of the amp) drawn up from various schematics and projects all over the internet. With a little know-how and some craftiness, you can save yourself all sorts of money and have some pride in having built it yourself.

This is a terribly dangerous road. Can't wait to get on it.

6. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    +1. Reading through it now.

7. If you just want to build one and not have to learn all the EE stuff, you can find schematics for most of the well-known preamps on the internet. Parts are cheap - a top quality audio opamp runs $3-5 - so a build usually runs around $20.

8. LukeFRC

LukeFRC

Mar 15, 2012
    Scotland
    cheers sir. you built either? I'm guessing the TB11?

9. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Not yet, I haven't. I'm waiting on parts to arrive for the SVF and for the TB11... and a few other preamps. :)

10. LukeFRC

LukeFRC

Mar 15, 2012
    Scotland
    interesting.... :) which ones?

I like the modular nature of the TB11 - tempted to take it as a base and then add the SVF in the blend stage and miss off the tone stage....
    would want to change the frequencies for that cAMPus/Musikding alembic like preamp. it would be good to go a bit lower with it. esp if you have one per pickup