Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Home-made woodstain

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassteban, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Not sure if this belongs here, but it does apply(literally) to bass building. I'm trying to concoct my own woodstain. I made some real strong coffee, then poured it back into the used grounds a couple more times. Right now I've got it in a pan over a low flame- I'm trying to get a real dark shade. Anyone ever do something similiar?

2. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Does drinking a cup of really strong coffee get you into the proper frame of mind for making your own wood stain? :)

3. Actually, I'm such a java junkie that a strong one just makes the shakes go away(for awhile). The inspiration for this, I suppose, comes from spilled coffee.
    I just tried the 1st batch on some maple, mahogany, purpleheart,ash & fir. It put a light stain most noticeably on the ash- I think it needs to be stronger. Maybe Turkish coffee...

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I know a lot of "kountry krafts" type stuff uses tea for staining cloth.

Do you have any idea whether the coffe stain will stand up to fading by UV?

5. I just put the stuff on an hour ago. No fading so far, but it is a bit cloudy. Seriously, that's a good question, & one I hadn't considered. Personally, I like the looks of old faded stuff- except for that face in the mirror...
    And tea- interesting. I have heard of that, though it didn't spring to mind. Thanks!

6. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    My sister lives on Maui and she sends me t-shirts a couple of times a year, for Christmas and my birthday. Some of them are dyed with beer, red dirt or coffee. If that stuff can dye cotton it'll probably stain wood. Yeah, pre-stained beer basses...I guess? :meh:

7. They would be easily repairable!

8. If you put steel wool in a jar with white vinegar, it will give you a strong black dye. I believe after you put it on the wood, the wood needs some sort of base to neutralize the acidity.

9. Now, that could be the gem of the day! I love dark stains.

10. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    - a quick google turned up a book that includes making natural stains- look at chapter 10- http://www.samallen.com/store/cftinfo.html .
    I'll bet you could find a lot if you search on "organic".

I would be sure to use a solid enough varnich/oil/whatever to prevent your clothes getting coffee stains on them!

11. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    From what I've heard blood turns black over maple. I intend to find out more about this in the future.

12. Sometimes I wish I had no imagination.

13. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i'll keep an eye out for ya on Fox News. :D

14. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    New item in Stew-Mac:

Staining blood

Best used on maple, gives a nice, warm blackness. Dilutes with either Ringer's Lactate (Part 00495) or normal saline (Part 00498). Cannot be shipped outside of the U.S. Sold in pints only.

Type A....................$14.95
    Type O....................$12.95

15. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    OK, OK, I just gotta say it: if you use blood, does it then become bloodwood? :eyebrow:

I am really tired and just need to go to bed ... :scowl:

16. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    "The dark, naturally stained body comes complete with HIV test."

17. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    "As used on the Warwick Vampyre."

Sorry, only two hours of sleep last night. New puppy.

18. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    This guy might actually try it-- he is the one who puts beard hair in his paint! ;)

19. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
  20. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I just sprayed the first coats of clear laquer on my bloodwood top violin bass this past weekend and now it looks like Coca-Colawood. Still looks good though.