1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

home paint job

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassist4dalord, Mar 11, 2008.

1. I am considering purcasing an Essex Jazz and doing a custom "paint" job to it. This means removing all of the hardware and sanding the whole body to reveal the grain underneath. I would then use some wood stain and varnish to make it look amazing. I would then put a white pickguard on it. Opinions on feasibility? I realize that it would take me forever to sand it, and I think I'm up for it. I could also use my dad's electric sander, but that's another topic. Thanks! :bassist:

2. I say go for it man, anything is possible really. Just make sure you are thorough. Give you some experience, and it wont be so expensive either :) If you decided to do it, give us updates :)

3. Assuming the grain underneath is worth staining, in all likelihood it's gonna be a 5 or 6 piece body, and the top isn't going to be one uniform piece.

4. How is this a Luthier topic again?

5. I didn't mean to upset you... I just thought that someone who has built a bass might have a little experience. Jeez :eyebrow:

6. Didn't upset me man, I was posing a valid question. Luthierie has to do with building and the like, not modifying. This is hardly a new thing you're doing. Do a search, there's a few guys here that have done exactly what you have done already, with SX's and others.

7. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    You're right. This thread belongs on Setup and Repair.

8. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    i'm my personal exp i've found that the wood used on painted bass's isnt the most appealing to the eye (the appealing stuff is saved for wood finish bass's)
    so they use the ugly wood for bass's that are gonna be painted having said that i once flatted down an old squier bass and the wood underneath was ace!!
    as far as sanding it down goes with some decent sand paper a power sander and a bit of elbow grease it wont take that long