Home recording help needed!!!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Johnny BoomBoom, Sep 23, 2002.

1. OK guys, I'm entering the wonderful world of home recording. I'm using a Fostex VF08 - seemed a good deal, and it's got a 20Gb hard drive, so it's got plenty of room!

Now, the band and I have recorded a few tracks onto it - live, using a couple of mikes - not great quality, but just to get and idea of what it does!!!

I'm now trying to get it into the PC. I've got Nero Wave Editor and that seems to be OK. I'm not sure how to the data from the Fostex into the PC. DO I use the optical out from the Fostex to send the signal through an optical to coax cable, into the line in for the soundcard.

I was reading about SP/DIF last night - late last night, and think this is the way to go!!!

Any advice or tips!!

All info much appreciated and gratefully received!

2. jblake

Aug 30, 2001
    Gray, ME
    Does your sound card have S/PDIF inputs? If not, you might as well use the analog outs on the Fostex. You're going to be going through AD/DA somewhere in the signal chain. No need to get an extra converter.
    If you do have S/PDIF inputs, make sure your sound card can slave itself to the incoming signal. Otherwise the clock on the card and the clock in the Fostex will be out of sync and you'll get pops and clicks in your audio.
    Just a couple things to look out for. Have fun!

3. Thanks for the reply!! I don't think my sound card has that type of input. I resorted to using the headphone socket with a stero lead out and polugged it into the mic in on the soundcard. Not clever by any means, but it did the job.

I recorded it using Nero - worked OK, as it was just for other band members!
  4. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Hey I have a Foxtex VF-16. I have been trying to do the same thing for a very long time. Does your Fostex have a SCSI port? if so you can transfer using ZIp disks. A lot of people use that method. It keeps the quality plus it gives you a reason to buy more gear!
  5. Redmandrake

Sep 24, 2002
    Hi Johnny:

I read your post and I have some advice:

1.) You can use nero wave editor to "correct" or "fix" problems on a wave file, and really thats all you want to do with it.

2.) To get your tracks on the PC. I suggest using DBPowerAMP music converter. I use it for vinyl to PC conversion, and from portable recording gear to PC.

3.) Now you need some type of Mutitrack/sequencer software to mix your tracks, add additional effects, etc... My recommendation would be the following:

a.) Cakewalk Guitar studio - affordable software and easy to use.
    b.) Magix's studio - very very cheap, but effective.
    c.) Cakewalk Sonar - the best for windows, and expensive
    d.) Cubase - top of the line
    e.) Pro tools free - what all the studios use, and this version is free!.

I have used all of them with equal amounts of success. This depends on your system configuration. Sound card, memory, drive, motherboard...

My choice of effects plugins are:

a.) Stienberg mastering
    b.) ozone izotope
    c.) waves native gold bundle

Don't add too many plugins, it could crash your system. All software mentioned comes with its own effects.

Lastly, if you are on a real tight budget, then maybe you could use Cool Edit Pro 2000. This is a software that wears many hats, including; four(4) track recording and wave editing with good effects.

hope this helps, any other questions let me know

6. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Best in what respect?
    Far from all studios use PT. But hey, if it's free and it works, what have you to lose (except for a few hairs on your head to all the incompatibility frustration)?
    What it should do is stop playback. If it crashes your entire computer, something is seriously wrong.

Another choice for budget multitrack software is N-Track (www.fasoft.com).

But if it's about making simple demoes, you might as well mix on the Fostex. And if you don't do any kind of mastering, you won't really need any other software than what you already have...