Home recording newbie - where to start?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by JohnL, Dec 9, 2002.

1. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I've seen all these new 4 and 8 track recorders available, but I'm wondering if it would be best to get one of those or build on what I've already got to get where I want to go.

Where I want to go: Compose music, recording vocal, guitars, bass, and keys. Probably will just program and sequence drum patterns for now. Be able to burn the mix to a cd (not really interested in memory cards or MP3) and give to others to listen to. Not looking to really get into professional production; but rather a place to record my ideas and share them with others. I don't think I'd need more than 8 or 16 tracks, but I know that more is better!

What I've got:
    Pentium III desktop, 128MB ram, cd burner built in, soundcard that came with computer, probably just for games and not compatible for recording purposes. (I know I probably would need to double the RAM and get a sound card for recording)

Seems the computer recording is the better option for me since I already have a computer, however, your advice to the contrary is still welcome. If I got one of these 4 or 8 track recorders, I've still got to get it to cd (a nice little adder to those prices!) and I think I'd rather see everything on the monitor screen than on a small LCD readout. I would also probably end up wishing I had more tracks. Would there be a good reason for me to go that route rather than my PC?

I was wondering if Home Studio ($99 USD) is a good place to start for a beginner, or is there something else (in the "inexpensive" category) better to start with? I just don't have a lot of money to sink into this right now. Thanks for your input!
  2. awesome

Aug 14, 2002

It seems to me that if you don't want to spend more than 100$ it might be best to save your money and use the soundcard you already have.
    If your willing to spend some more, like 200 - 300$, you can get a pro-soundcard.

Do you want to record those instruments one by one or simultaneous?

I think 128MB ram might be enough, depending on what your planning to do.