1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Home recording our first demo...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BurnsFury, Aug 21, 2012.

1. BurnsFury

BurnsFury

Jan 10, 2012
  2. BurnsFury

BurnsFury

Jan 10, 2012
    ??

3. RFord04

RFord04 Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Flint, Michigan
    Not to be a jerk (in other words, get ready for me to come off as a jerk)... but my advice, in all honesty, is to save up for a legit demo done by a professional. At the very least, have the drums recorded by a professional. That's the one thing that stands out the most as sounding like a basement recording, and that's a very common thing when it comes home recording. I say this because I think the song sounds like it has some potential to be great, with the proper treatment.

The guitar tones were a bit brittle, but I'd think a slight change in mic placement further away and further from the center of the speaker cone, and some eq'ing might help that.

I can't really pinpoint it, but I definitely heard a bit of over-compressing going on as well, though that could be a result of a number of factors.

I'm no expert by any means, and I hope you're not too offended, but that's my honest and unbiased feedback.

4. BurnsFury

BurnsFury

Jan 10, 2012
    You are correct on every siggestion you gave man. And yes my friend, the drummer, has a tendency to over compress things.

The guitar tone I havent perfected yet but im getting there as we continue tobpractice recording. It is actually a two piece bass and drum band. All the guitar bass is a single track of my bass, using a pog and other pedals to get split octaves and mix it. The only other instrument added is organ on the verses to add a bit of a drone and fill out the sound.

Drums are hard. Do you have any experience with self recording and sending the files off to be professionally mastered?

Thanks for the critique.

5. BurnsFury

BurnsFury

Jan 10, 2012
    P.s. i actually toned down the suppresion and reuploaded a few mins before I saw your post. See if you can tell a difference. Its slight..

6. BurnsFury

BurnsFury

Jan 10, 2012
    Compression not suppression my bad.