1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Home Recording Set up

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by slapmachine, Jan 25, 2012.

1. slapmachine

slapmachine

Oct 4, 2010
    PV, Kansas
    Hey guys, I know this is going to be like many of the other home recording threads that are currently filling the subforum of Recording Gear and Equipment, but I honestly wanted to get more than what I could find, so please do not reference other threads unless they hold specific relevance to what I'm asking!

I want to basically make a home recording setup that allows me to record something like bass or even drums. So inputs is something that I'm slightly concerned about. In saying that I would also like very straighforward effective software recommendations that don't require a translator because it's all encrypted and hard to find. I'm trying to get a killer setup and I'd love to save money when I can, but not sacrificing quality. If it's going to crap out but save me money, please let me know, I'd much rather save up!!

I like to keep a clean and simplistic setup concerning electronics when I can, so the simpler set-up that really gets the job done seamlessly, please let me know.

If I didn't specify a something, please let me know I'll be happy to help you help me get closer to my ideal situation!

Best regards,

Brooks

P.S. thanks for helping me in advance~! :bassist:

2. DuraMorte

DuraMorte

Mar 3, 2011
    Do you have a computer?
    If not, build one.
    If so, Mac or Windoze? Specs?

As far as audio interfaces go, I'm personally looking at upgrading to a MOTU 896mk3. The onboard effects look killer, it can be expanded to 24 simultaneous ins and outs, for full band recording in near-realtime, etc. etc.

You'll also need mics, monitors, some sound deadening, a good chair, a good sturdy desk, and possibly some speaker stands.

Also, asking for good, straightforward recording software is a bit like finding a perfect woman: impossible.
    If you want good, you have to learn all the ins and outs. If you want straightforward, you will have to deal with substantial limitations; TANSTAAFL.

3. slapmachine

slapmachine

Oct 4, 2010
    PV, Kansas
    Yes, it's a laptop sadly =/.

64bit windows 7 home premium
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 380 @ 2.53GHz
    4.00 GB ram
    Intel(R) HD Graphics
    1696 MB Total available graphics memory
    356GB Free (583GB Total)

As far as anything else I have. I have a bose speaker system for my computer, an Audix D6 mic, Two Sennheiser e835's, and a small behringer mixer.

Best regards,

Brooks

4. corsa

corsa Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Fort Wright, KY
    Well, I'm not an expert and I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn last night but I have recently waded into home recording and would be happy to share the decisions I've made so far.

I'm assuming you have a computer that you intend to use. As always, more RAM and more processing power is better. I bought a factory refurbished Gateway with 4GB and a quad core AMD processor and it has done everything I've asked of it so far.

I was also interested in a good number of inputs and settled on the Tascam US-1800. It has 8 XLRs and two instrument/line inputs on the front with an additional 4 line-ins on the back along with MIDI in and out and digital in and out. In addition it has monitor outs, 4 line outs and a headphone out. I couldn't find anything else comparable for close to the same money. I'm sure the mic pre-amps aren't as nice as you'd get in a Focusrite for example but for where I am in the home recording adventure, they're perfectly acceptable. The drivers loaded and the hardware installed without incident and I have not had a single hiccup from this interface so far. However, I've only had it a couple of months so I can't really comment on long term reliability.

I chose Reaper for my DAW software. It is a free 30 day trial of the full product not crippled in any way. If you like it, after 30 days, they ask you to register though the demo doesn't expire. A non-commercial license is $60.00. They have good documentation and an active user community and forums. I happily paid my 60 bucks.

That is my simple set-up that is working well for me so far. I don't want to write a book here so I'll stop now but let me know if you want more specifics or have questions etc.

Hope this helped.

Jon