Home recording

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Feb 18, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    Im in a band with a few friends, and we recorded a song a few months back. It is pretty bad, IE 4 notes over and over again the song was only 20 seconds. but i think it held together since we were only 12-13 at that time.

We recorded it with a computer microphone and I complied the tracks with audicity(free editor)

I was just wondering if we were to "record" any more songs, is it a better idea to take a line out from a amp? or should we just use a better mike? if so where should we put it.

My friend also has a 4 track tape recorder(is analog better for this beginner type stuff?) or should we just go with computers.

btw since were just 14 none of us have invested in a decent sound card. we just all have onboard.

advice would be appreciated
  2. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I would think useing a computer microphone would be pretty bad. My band (15-16) uses a MOTU 8 track. For certain instruments we'll take a line out. For bass we use a DI. We use my Radial DI and then the line out on the back of the amp and mix the 2 or pick the better of the 2. The guitarists use my DI as well, or they'll just take the line out. But if you can't get the sound you want you can mic the amp. I would honestly invest in a better mic. A shure sm57 is pretty much the most versatile mic there is.
    How do you plan on recording drums with 1 mic? I would think you'd want atleast 2 overheads.

And as for you 4 track. I'm no familiar with how they work. With the analog 4 track you can only have 4 tracks correct? And theres no computer editing. I would say stick with the computers if you're going to have more than 4 tracks, our songs usually end up having close to 15-25 tracks.

Good luck