Home Run Derby-disgusted

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bass_player16, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Did anyone else on the board watch the home run derby last night? Well more specifically the beginning when Alter Bridge. I was absolutely digusted, not by the band, but by the broadcasting company. I think maybe once in the entire show I saw even the slightest close up of Brian Marshal(their bassist for those of you that don't know ;) ). I realize that us bassists don't get much recognition but honestly, that made me sick. I felt so bad for him 'cause he was up there playing his heart out just like the rest of the band and he gets like one shot on camera, aside from the shots they did when they panned across the stage tthats it. Sorry for the rant, I just had to get this off my chest lol. In a perfect world we bassists would be the center of attention :cool:

2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    In a perfect world, Alter Bridge wouldnt be on TV at all ;)

3. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Have you had the displeasure of seeing School of Rock? At the end, all of the kids get a solo... except the bassist. Such is life; if you don't get used to it, you'll have to endure a lot of heartbreak.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's because the bassist could only play roots.

brad cook
  5. I hate to say it, but I agree. It's rare I'll see a band on TV where the bassist gets any prolonged shots of him or her. It's just how it goes.
  6. Now here's something we should all agree on.

7. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    I was too busy laughing at Piazza and Damon when they came on stage.
  8. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    who is alter bridge?

sounds like they would be like creed.
  9. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    Thats too funny, I'll let somebody else explain this one.
  10. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    I concur, ANYTHING that has to do with Creed sucks.
  11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

Alter Bridge is creed. Without scott stapp. Instead, they have someone who sounds exactly like scott stapp.
  12. Mike I have to disagree with you on that one, Myles, I think anyways, has a much better voice than Scott did. As I said before in another thread, I don't see why people insult the musicians in Creed/Alter Bridge when they are all good if not very good musicians in their own right IMHO.

EDIT: Oh and regarding the whole bassist not getting attention thing. I realize thats how it is, and I can except the fact, just in my opinion and many others it shouldn't be that way. I'm sure everyone of us on this forum can all agree that we all do much more then just play root notes ALL the time. :cool:
  13. Oh and I'm not trying to start a flame wars with the whole alter bridge comment, its all just in my opinion :bag:
  14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Ya, well. its Alter Bridge and Creed. So har. :p
  15. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I disagree as well, I think their new singer (Myles, I guess) has a very impressive voice. As a band, they're decent, but I think this new guy is worlds better than Scott Stapp could ever hope to be.
  16. Why do people like bands like Creed or Alter Bridge? All their music sounds the same...it's always verses where the singer is trying to sound introspective or "spiritual" accompanied by soft and melodic but generic instrumental lines, followed by choruses with guitars on overdrive and the singer basically yelling. It's all boring.
  17. Ok I didn't start this thread for it to be a flame war against creed/alter bridge. It was about bassists not getting recognition. I'm not trying to be a dick, but I've heard about enough dissing of them. I understand each person has their own opinion but, in most cases the people that I've known who hate those bands, after I make them actually sit down and listen to all their songs, they wind up liking them.
  18. That always bothered me about School of Rock. The bassist, and the cutest girl (although yes, very young), gets no solo. not cool.

Last night I was flipping through the HD channels, and came across a Yellowcard concert. I watched for a good bit, to catch a glimpse of their bassist. i ended up watching the rest of it, and the bassist got one closeup in the 45 minutes I watched. and a quick one at that.

so we're all used to not getting the recognition, but it still sucks.
  19. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    It's not like thier bassist does anything interesting anyways. So who cares.
  20. ah, who cares, indeed.

it'd be nice for all band members to be treated equally, as idealistic as that may seem.