Home/ small club use: 4x10 vs 2x10 vs 2x12 vs 15+10 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doublestop, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Please advice me on what cab is best for my use.

I am new on bass. Do have long guitar history, have good ears and some money to spend.

I have decided that I want the flexibility of a head + cab(s), and I think it's wise to put most of the money in good sounding cabs. Good cabs + a cheaper amp is better than the reverse, right?

Use will be home use plus occasional jams and small gigs (bass, drum, guitar, singer). Music is rock, blues, funk. Bass is a G&L Tribute L-2000.

Cab wise, will a 2x10 cut the mustard? How abouta 2x12? I've even seen 15+10 cabs....seems interesting (the lows of a 15 plus the speed of a 10 ?) .....Or should I stick to the proven 4x10 concept? (But there so heavey and big)

Thanks for advices.

2. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Check out the Schroeder 1210 as a compromise between a 2 x 10 and a 2 x 12. Comfortable size and weight and great sound. There's a long thread about Schroeders elsewhere in this forum.

Schroeder Cabiners
  3. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    A 2x10 I feel is definitely for the moderate volume practices and the intimate to small gigs. A 2x12 I've heard is a very good alternative to 4x10s (except a bit lower end and only a slight bit less punchy, but close!). The 1x15 and 1x10 is interesting actually. Never seen it, but does sound like it could cover a good range plus play the medium gigs. And of course, the 4x10 (the one I have) can do most medium to large shows (most of which have PA anyway) but ahhh, the weight. Darn you gravity. :scowl:

But coming from a 4x10 and also not loving the hernia that I swear is due any day now, I too am thinking of going for a two cab set up.

Since I'm loving the punchiness of my 4x10 but wanted a slight bit more low end (just playing a 4-stringer right now), I'm thinking of going: 2x10 + 1x12.

I'm thinking same punchiness as my 4x10, a bit more lows, lighter, separatable for appropriate gigs and practice spots, etc.

Eh? It's an alternative. Any thoughts on that setup as well?

4. iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    210 plus 212. I like 4 speakers. I don't like big/ heavy/ cumbersome boxes. But, if you only want a single box, a 212 is THE way to go.
  5. I am a recent 12 convert. I like the lows they give while staying pretty tight in the mids. They're not as punchy as the 10s so if you like funk you will need some 10s but other than that I say get a nice 2x12 cab.
  6. Thanks guys. I'll go shopping for a 2 x 12 I guess. But first I will have to unload some guitar stuff I no longer use .
  7. BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    They make a bunch of different cabinets 1 x 10, 1 x12, 2 x10, 2 x 12 etc etc. Their prices are downright friendly too.
  8. But seriously I don't believe they make a 1x10 cab but they do make a 1x12, 2x12, two different 1x15 cabs, 2x10, and 4x10.
  9. Multiple cabs allow you to mix 'n match and add more as your needs grow.

A single 1x cab is usually easier to haul around, and is more likely to have closer to the correct internal cabinet volume required by the installed driver.

A 2x cab requires 2x the internal volume or the tuning suffers. Most manufacturers skimp on the cab volume, especially in the 2x15. The typical internal volume requirments of 15" driver is quite a bit more than 12s or 10s.
  10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    If you can find one, the Music Man 2x12 cab is a great value. Generally in the 350 range used or if the factiory is blowing them out on EBay. Plenty of punch and pretty deep as well...
  11. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hmm... Do you guys think that a 1x12 can get close enough to the sound of 2x10s? I know a 12 can get lower, but does it still "punch" to a point where you could hardly notice the difference?

I'm just trying to see if I could maybe be better served by a pair of 1x12s instead of a 2x10 + 1x12 or 1x15, or the dreaded weight of the 4x10.

12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I've been lurking on TB for months now, and one Avatar combination I've not seen anyone suggest to date is a bi-amp mini-rig, consisting of (2) B210 cabs and (2) SB112 cabs (eight ohms each).

I'm seriously considering this combination myself, as I do believe it would provide impressive flexibility, power, punch, frequency response and dispersion, as well as some very nice mix-and-match system options. Of course, it would also require a high-powered stereo power amp as well as an electronic crossover. I expect to have that covered with a Carvin DCM 2500, which I hope to purchase in the not-too-distanct future...

You could stack one of each cab on each side of a stage for stereo effect - or stack everything together in one tall stack. I think it would rock! :cool:

13. dont

Jul 25, 2004
    If you play a four-string, 10's will serve you well---as will the combination cabinets like the Schroeder1012. I play a five and like a lot of low bass and a very deep tone; 10's just do not give me the sound I want. I presently have an Epifani T212D which does a nice job, and three Eden CX212's, which do a very nice job. I am likely to go to four Schroeder 1212's soon. Also, when looking for an amp, remember that, while some headroom is nice for guitar, a lot of headroom is better for bass. Hope that helps.
  14. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    even though this thread is getting long already I'll add my two cents....

In the last year I've aquired two aguilar gs112's a stewart world 1.2 amp and the new tech21 RPM*. I HAVE BEEN COMPLETELY AMAZED at the marriage of sound between aguilar, stewart and tech21.

EVEN using just ONE 112 with the stewart ready to pump 700w into 8ohms bridged it sounds amazing to me!!! two gs112s are amazing, but NOT NECESSARY for home or typical basement practice.

*opinions may vary on the sound of a tech21 RBI over the RPM. ( I own both)
  15. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, I'm going to be picking up a Schroeder 1210 myself. Great sound, very loud! Amazingly small. Great cabs and a great guy owns the company! What else could you ask for.

Still a couple of little tidbits of doubt sometimes though if I should get the 1212 instead of the 1210, but I'm at 90% for the 1210. I just don't want to lose the punch I am used to.

Damn you, 10%. :scowl:

16. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I currently/just sold my 2x10+1x15 setup because it didn't put out enough volume. I'd say go with a 4x10. You can always turn down, but you can't always turn up. I just got a Mesa Diesel 6x10 (on the way, sorta), and it'll be just what I need. A 4x10 will rock you out.
  17. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I saw your 2x10 + 1x15! Awesome! But not as much volume as a 4x10? I could understand that...

Yeah, I just came off of an Avatar 4x10 myself. I did like it. A lot actually! Especially in the last few days that I had it, I decided to put in some serious wattage in it (1200 wattsinstead of the regular ol' 350watts I'm used to) and WOW! I guess the Avatars really come alive with more power. Anyway, I sold it mainly because of the weight issue. Just too much to handle when I don't have bandmates to help me, and the elevator at our lockout broke down one too many times already... :scowl: And 80+ lbs up 3 flights of stairs on more than 3 occassions was enough for me to throw in the towel.

But if you don't mind the weight, I agree. 4x10s are awesome. Especially if you picked up a quality 4x10. OOH MAN...

18. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Yeah, you would think it'd just project for days, and it does, just on stage I usually don't have any type of monitor, so I really need that extra volume without beginning to really overdrive my speakers. The 6x10 should do quite nicely. Although I KNOW I'm gonna miss the lows of that 15"... Ah well.