Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Home stereo/surround sound ?'s, ideas etc.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Aug 8, 2005.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    To you who are into home sound systems?

I have an older Bose 5.1 surround system for my TV. I just recently purchased 2 JBL 10's and a Kenwood powered sub for cheap. I want to incorporate this into my system. I'm also moving so I want to make the best sound system I can in the new crib.

1. The Bose is O.k. sould I mix the JBL's into the current system?

2. Should I get a new reciever to make an even better set up?

I want to get a good rockin sound when I play live music while having a good surround sound for movies etc.

Suggestions?

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If it were me I'd replace the Bose speakers. I'm not a fan myself and I think that the JBL's will overwhelm them if you actually use them to their full potential. I don't think that JBL is "the best" but I do feel they're a great value and I have JBL's all around in my 5.1 setup (except for my Dayton Audio sub). Which model speakers do you have?

I have no experience with Kenwood subs but I haven't heard good things about them.

brad cook

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I don't know which models they are. They are 10's.

I was looking at a 7.1 100watt per channel system so I can run all the speakers and just use the Bose in the corners of the room for surround sound. But your saying the JBL's will just overpower them?

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I guess "overpower" is not really what I mean. What I'm saying is that in my experience Bose speakers are somewhat thin in sound and the JBL's that I have are certainly more full sounding than the Bose speakers that I've experienced. This plays out in reality when one examines the frequency response of Bose vs. JBL. Since Bose doesn't post that info as far as I know you have to find it by doing Google searches. There are various tests out there that show this info and you'll find that most Bose speakers have sound "holes" in certain frequency ranges. This will complicate things when you have sounds in those frequencies that travel around the speakers furing a movie.

Either way as a rule of thumb when matching surround speakers it's best to try and match the frequency response, resistance and speaker type/material as closely as possible all around to make for a seamless sound immersion. Although with tweaking it's possible to match different kinds of speakers pretty closely. I think it becomes harder though with the kind of disparity that you find between Bose and most other speakers.

brad cook

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    BTW, I'm speaking somewhat from experience as I once had a pair of Bose speakers that I mixed with others. Getting rid of those+getting all speakers from the same series was darn near a revelatory experience! I thought my surround sounded pretty good until I got these new speakers. It opened my eyes to possibilities. I also have a friend who has a very recent pair of Bose speakers. He was going to fill out his 5.1 with all Bose and he asked what I thought about that. I suggested he fill out his system with something else and eventually replace the pair of Bose that he has (now using as his rears). He ended up buying a Dayton Audio sub (Which is about the best there is if you're on a tight budget) and got some Axiom front speakers and I sold him my near-new BIC America center channel so I could match my JBL's with the EC135 center. The Axioms sound incredible and he's glad he got them and the BIC is a good, full-sounding center that merges with the Axioms pretty decently despite the aluminum cones of the Axioms. The Bose are the odd men out and there's that disparity. It's ok with tweaking, it's doable, just not ideal.

This is all subjective of course.

brad cook

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Thanks Brad!

Maybe I'll keep the Bose for the bedroom and build a sweet setup for the living room!!!

7. If you are looking for a high power system on a budget, look at the Onkyo packages. They have (IIRC) a 1000 total watt 7.1 system for about 500 dollars. I have the 650 watt 5.1 version and it rocks hard. Very hard.

Speakers in this package are by no means wimpy or insufficient. The ones I have are dual 5 1/2s in the front and center with tweeters, and single 5 1/2s with tweeters.

I consider myself somewhat of an audiophile and this is the first system ( Ive had several) that Ive been completely happy with.

The only thing Id change would be to give the subwoofer a little more power ( 100 watts and 8 inches ), but this has been fixed in current systems. Now, depending on the one you get, its either 150 or 250 watts (again IIRC) into a 10 inch sub.

If your interested, Ill post up a link when I find one.

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yes...I have seen that brand.

I've done a little research and let me tell you where I am at now.

I was given by my brother in law a set of JBL XL440's and a Kenwood sw-300 powered sub. The JBL's retail for $259.00 a piece at the time they were made. I have heard the Kenwood is an adequate sub.

I think I want a set up that has some ommmpth! Maybe get some more JBL's and make a surround sound system, 6.1 or 7.1 100 watts per channel at least.

Of course I'm on a budget, maybe get another set of speakers, a middle speaker and a good reciever.

What do ya think?

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If you're on a budget I'd stick with 5.1 speakers for now and invest in slightly higher quality rather than having 6 or 7 lower quality speakers. You can always add some more speakers later when you have more money. You could go ahead and get a receiver that supports 6 or 7.1 though and just run it as 5.1 for now. One good value in receivers for those on a budget might be the b-stock Denon receivers from Dakmart.com. Dakmart is the only b-stock Denon dealer that I know of that includes a one year warranty. Denon is good stuff.

brad cook