Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Home theater: I've got all but one thing sorted out...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ericman197, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    What type of subwoofer should I go for? SVSubwoofer or a tactile transducer? I have no experience with either subwoofer so I'm only just guessing at what would be better. The most important bonus for me is that I can attach the buttkicker to a couch and use isolation pegs to keep vibrations out. The room is going to be soundproofed, but I have a feeling that the sub lows will still escape. Either way I'd like to attach a shaker of some sort to the couch for that extra sub feel, but I'm just not sure if one of these Buttkickers can actually replace a regular subwoofer ( ie: can you actually hear/feel the bass? Do you need to be touching the object? Is one buttkicker enough for a 3 seater couch? etc. ). If the two subwoofers are in fact equal, I'd probably go for the shaker... I'm into a lot of deep bass and they're roughly the same price. Even though I like the feel of air rushing at me pounding my chest, I don't listen to anything that loud.

2. http://www.hsuresearch.com/products has some cool ones. Too many variables: wife/cosmetics, room size, budget, musicality vs. theater sound.

My old velodyne is about to die and I need a modest sub that will little slam a little in low volume scenerious since I live in a townhouse. I have been checking out this cool pinnacle. I like it becasue it is isobaric and only 400 clams at closeout price. http://www.aboutgizmos.com/pidisub350.html

Either that or the HsU VTF 10" model.

3. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Well, my main question is: can a shaker replace a standard subwoofer, or should I only use one in conjunction with one? I know that the human ear probably can't detence the 5Hz to... roughly 40Hz? or thereabouts frequencies, but I'd probably be setting the crossover to roughly 90Hz or so, so I'd need something that can do the audible bass range, not just the sub sub lows. I can always go with the SV or HSU ( both were recommended ), but I'd like to consider the Buttkicker as a replacement... if it won't work, I suppose I can always get one later on just for the fun factor.

Whoah, that subwoofer is nice... correct me if I'm wrong, but 99.9% of all music, video games and movies is 30Hz or above, right? If so, I might consider that one if I don't go with a shaker. The SV seems to go a little deeper, but I wouldn't mind saving the cash if it's not necessary.

4. the bass shaker things can't move any air. Get a real sub, even if a small one. Then add a buttkicker to augment a small sub. You wont need to worry about 5hz stuff 99.99% of the time. Sub first- that plays down to 25hz in a room mdium sized room.

you can cross over the shaker at about 30hz. It may be called a "high pass fileter."

5. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    hmmm... I might consider doing that. I'm still not sure what subwoofer I'll get, but I'll probably go for the SV 25Hz tuned model and then add shakers later unless someone can convince me that the shakers can actually replace a real subwoofer.

6. weldon

weldon

Jan 3, 2003
    Denver, CO
    The buttkicker is an interesting device, but I don't think it replaces a sub in a home theater. The buttkicker is a motor, not a voice coil and so it doesn't produce any *audible* sound, it produces vibrations that can be felt when it's attached to a couch or a subfloor. If you're not sitting on that couch, you're not going to get anything from the buttkicker. The sub, on the other hand, will produce sound that can be heard everywhere in the room, or across the street in the case of the SVS 20-39.

The buttkicker is great in environments where you can't turn up the audio to produce sound pressure levels high enough to feel. You will feel the sound through the buttkicker without waking up the neighbors. If you like to turn up the volume in your HT, the SVS sub will produce plenty of bass at high enough SPL to feel it in your teeth. That 12" driver in the cylinder produces amazing amounts of bass.

I have a SVS 20-39PC myself. I bought it because it works very well for both music and HT (I also got a good deal because I got it used out of the house of the co-founder - he replaced it with a CS-Ultra). I spent an hour or so one day to calibrate the sound levels for my setup to balance the sub with the mains and it produces fantastic sound in both 2-channel music and surround movie tracks.

I would highly recommend the SVS 20-39PC to you for home theater use. I haven't plugged my bass into it, but maybe I should try that!

You can find a dedicated SVS forum at Home Theater Spot...

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/UBB84

My favorite Home Theater board is www.avsforum.com - you'll find lots of discussion there on audio and subs in the speakers forum.

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    If you're serious about a serious subwoofer, the only way to go is: Velodyne check 'em out at www.velodyne.com

8. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    ehhh, most of them are out of my price range. I'll go for the SV and maybe add some shakers to the couch at a later date.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I built my home theatre sub out of inexpensive car subs (2x10") and a sealed enclosure. It cost me peanuts. Sealed enclosures work better than ported enclosures for home theatre IMO because of the way the speakers behave when fed frequencies that are lower then the speakers Resonant frequency, and using multiple drivers resulted in a cab that is quite efficient by sub standards........ I'm going off topic aren't I.

To cut a long thread short, I don't need no shaker :) I've got one lying around in the garage, but I didn't like it. Sure you can feel it, but it feels fake and un-natural. A decent sub provides much more viewing pleasure.

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    pfft.

Home theater sub = ampeg 810.... :p