Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Home theater systems

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by chris4001asat, Mar 15, 2006.

1. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I was resetting up my best friends parents home sytem last night and had a question. They're only using left and right front, and the center channel. Should the left and right be plugged into the left and right front on the receiver? They had them plugged into the regular stereo left and right outputs. I was thinking it wouldn't really matter since their are no rear speakers to deal with. Any opinions out there?

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    With no rears I'd plug them into stereo and just lose the center channel and listen in stereo mode.

bc

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Interesting thread. I am fixin' to set up my home theater system real soon. I have access to home theater equipment at distributor pricing since we sell a lot of it where I work. Well, not for home theater, but for paging, and music in stores. Anyway, these places sell the nice speakers also.

I'm going to design a system that installs in my house, with speakers in the ceiling. Should be cool.

-Mike

4. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Depends on the sound you want. It won't be true surround: still, if you want your front speakers to follow the intended mix for those speakers, you'd plug them in to the surround l/r front jacks. If you don't care, and just want stereo l/r (which I think would give you more volume as a whole), plug into those jacks and set your receiver to stereo mix, and choose that selection in the dvd menu.

I think so, anyway...

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    There's a lot of certain important sounds like speech that's best if put through the center channel, that's what they say. When a theatre amp processes the audio, some info is sent to the center channel and some info is sent to the side channels.

I would use the L/R front plugs - there might be some sound that should be only in the center channel and goes to L/R in stereo mode. It might depend on the amp if there's any difference - usually the different stereo speakers out is if you wanna use some audiophile speakers for the stereo listening and a bunch of small speakers for surround fronts.

And, there's nothing that you can lose by plugging them into L/R-Front, so I'd use that.

By the way, may I ask why your parents aren't using the rear channels? It really adds to the surround effect and you can get a basic either one "dual surround" (dipole) speaker or two small normal speakers for minimal of investment. If it's a small room, you can try for example putting the speakers between back wall and sofa facing upwards or some other way to "bounce" the rear sound.

6. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    It's my friends parents. They just asked me because they know I'm good with wires!

7. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    I'm thinking he bought higher end equipment. The speakers are Paradigm, and the receiver is a Yamaha. I'm not really sure how he intends to use it. I imagine a 50/50 use as a regular stereo, and a "surround " system. I noticed I had to really crank the receiver when I had the TV running through it. Cds sounded fine.

8. NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

The center does 85-90% of the work. When you just run a stereo pair, the dialog (and other effects) that normally comes out the center gets layered in with the "background" noise and effects, and makes everything muffled and muddy.
    Example, watch Moulin Rouge in stereo, then with a center. You can actually hear the dialog and lyrics to the tunes!!

Hope this helps

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Most modern receivers are set up to optimize a stereo channel in place of a center channel. In fact, some AV enthusiasts prefer to run two fronts without a center. The receiver creates a virtual center and it actually does seem to come from the center.

My reason for suggesting that is because I hate listening to surround when some component is missing. Listening in 5.1 with no rears and no .1 would just suck to me. I'd rather go stereo. If the receiver is set up for stereo it will be fine.

To me it sounds like Hurlatron is describing a setup in which the receiver is setup for a center channel and the fronts are plugged into the surround fronts instead of the stereo outs.

bc

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I guess running L-front and R-front with no rears means that they won't hear anything that was supposed to go to the rears. In stereo mode, you can now hear what was supposed to come out the rears, but you get decreased clarity of speech and reduced surround imaging. Either way, they lose out somewhere.

If there's any part of the system that can be skimped on, it's the rears IMO. Talk you friends parents into buying a cheap set. They'll thank you for it later!