1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Home Veneer Job Pics

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Nightsblood, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Im thinking of tackling a veneer top job on my Dean Z Explorer bass. Im assuming someone here has done this before. Anyone have any stories or photos of your homemade tops?

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    No pics at present, as I rarely take pics of my work. If you decide to do this, I can give you a very simple way to accomplish this.

Take regular titebond and thin by 20% with water. Lay out a thin layer of the glue mixture on both the top of the body, and the back of the veneer and allow to dry. Once dry, place your veneer and use an iron(yes, the type for clothing) to attach the veneer. You will need a J roller or veneer roller to smooth out the veneer after heat applying. this is the preferred method used by custom cabinet makers, and is a much stronger join as opposed to contact cement. Good luck with it.

3. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Is it possible to do a spalt maple veneer?

4. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Have you found spalt maple veneer?

5. I think he wants a top, not a venneer, but I am not sure

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021