Homebrew 810 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lostcausebass, Nov 4, 2003.

1. lostcausebass

Oct 29, 2002
    Okay, this is going to sound strange, but everyone at one point wonders how hard it would be to make a homemade speaker cabinet. I myself have made several 2-way 12" pa cabs, but my friend, also a bass player, wants to know the feasability of making an 810 cab.

I found a driver online that goes from 55-5500hz, remarkably similar freq-resp. to the Ampeg SVT810E... it handles 100watts, so if I had 8 of them, it would handle the same wattage as the SVT810E.

I know madison speakers are inexpensive. Does anyone have any prior or heartbreaking experience with Madison Speakers in general?

I know this will probably get me laughed out of the forum, but do any of you have advice for someone who would try this? As of right now, My friend and I have alotted lumber for the internal baffles like the Ampegs, and could wire them similarly. Furthermore, instead of costing 1000 bucks, they could be made for about 600, minus our own labor...(free).

Any thoughts? This is just an idea, we haven't started it yet.
  2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i havent priced those speakers but i think you could find a used ampeg 8x10 for cheaper than building one. I mean unless you really just wanna build one i dont think youd save any money. say the speaakers are only 50 a piece thats 400 right there plus wood and carpet and wheels and such. Ive seen ampeg 8x10's for $600.
  3. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I know of an Ampeg 8X10 for sale locally for $450 or 500, can't remember.
  4. lostcausebass

Oct 29, 2002
    I mean, yeah, I know it's possible, but in building it yourself, it's possible to change the grill cloth, the tolex color, the baffle arrangement, the handle placement, everything.

I was just curious if THOSE speakers, the ones that I gave the link to, would lend themselves to bass amplification, and an 810 cab.
  5. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    The specs are at: http://madisonspeakers.netfirms.com/rawdrivers.htm

Fs: 80hz
    Qts: 1.22
    XMax: .25"
    Sensitivity: 99db

A few of these don't match the ad you had (30 oz magnet). I don't see how it can have the Xmax and Sensitivity it does; really amazing numbers, particularly for $15. The Fs is VERY high for a bass speaker and the Qts is about 3x higher than is common, which would lead to a large peak at Fs.

You get what you pay for. I think you would be happier with a more expensive model speaker.