1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Homebrew Shuttle

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tommy.genes, Apr 18, 2010.

1. tommy.genes

tommy.genes

Feb 16, 2006
    Yo! Philly
    Well this is the conclusion of my quest to fit a new speaker to a blown Eden CX110 that was given to me by a friend for helping him move, which was started in THIS THREAD.

[​IMG]

I ended up going with an Eminence Deltalite II 2510, largely based on the recommendation of liam_g. I debated whether or not a tweeter was necessary, but since I was doing this partly for the fun, I decided to go for it. I went with a Pyle Pro PDBT35 mostly because it came from the same place where I bought the Deltalite (Parts Express), and because it fit in the space available. Interesting lessons learned: 1) the tweeter did not work at all when I fully tightened the mounting screws but worked fine when I loosened them by just a few turns, and 2) while the tweeter was not working, I realized that I probably could have done without it if I wanted to save that bit of extra money.

Having recently sold a bass on consignment, I was planning on pairing this thing with a Genz-Benz Shuttle 3.0 from the same store, but happened to find a used 6.0 on Craigslist for the same price. Wanting the convenience of the G-B Shuttle combos, I fabricated my own handle/bracket as can be seen in the detail below. I may still put some bike handlebar tape on the handle to add carrying comfort.

[​IMG]

Between the Craigslist head and the replacement speakers, I've got about $600 invested - so much for an inexpensive combo like I originally wanted. But it could be compared to a new Shuttle 3.0-10T that sells for about $800 street, plus I have the tube preamp and extra watts of the Shuttle 6.0. And I had a lot of fun doing the whole project. I've never heard a real Shuttle to compare, and I certainly didn't expect an 8x10's volume or low end, but I have to say I'm pretty impressed. I couldn't even really turn it up here in the house - since it's late at night - to see just how loud it would go.

-- T. G. --

2. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Nice work!

I wonder if tennis racket leather handle wrapping would work too?

=wr=

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    looks like a fun deal. ya, quality always costs, but now you have a little rig that will actually put out some juice for smaller gigs.

4. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    +1

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I have a hunch the bracket weighs more than the amp eh?

6. tommy.genes

tommy.genes

Feb 16, 2006
    Yo! Philly
    That's probably true, but only because the head is already so light. I kept the bracket design minimal to keep the weight down, and to match my beginner welding skills as well as the tools that I had access to. I was reasonably happy with how that all turned out. With the neo speaker, I'm guessing the plywood cabinet is the single heaviest component, although that tweeter - being machined out of solid aluminum - is surprisingly heavy for its size.

[edit] And I just had to add, I like the way the brushed aluminum of the tweeter matches the brushed aluminum face of the head.

-- T. G. --