1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Homebrewbass #2.. Dig my wood?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Giel, May 6, 2006.

1. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Hi guys,
    After completing my first bass with warmoth neck, I decided life is boring whitout bass building.. So I went for some wood today..

- For the neck: wengé
    - For the fingerboard: ebony
    - For the body: 2 pieces of swamp ash
    - For the top: 2 pieces of (slightly flamed) padouk
    I also got an extra piece of padouk and a piece of purpleheart for maybe making pickup covers and a matched headstock or something, not shure about that though..
    There will be a line of purpleheart laminate between the padouk and the swamp ash, also there will be 2 lines of purpleheart in de neck..

[​IMG]

I think the padouk top looks sweet, haven't seen it around here to much though it wasn't expensive..
    So what do you guys think, you dig it or not? And you think it will sound good (when build properly)?

I've allready have the design ready (will post it soon)..
    I'll keep the process posted!

2. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    If it turns out anything like your last one it will be great!:)

3. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Thanks! The previous one turned out to be a really nice bass indeed but perhaps this one will be even better! My biggest concern is if it will sound good, I dont have any experience whit wengé as a neck wood.. But a local luthier here said that a wengé neck gives a huge tone, so I should be allright I guess :)

4. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    well, seeing that many luthiers use wenge as a neck wood, and as a fingerboard (just look at warwick) you can be sure that the wenge was a good choice. I also plan to put wenge in the neck I'm going to build when that time comes around later this year.

Greg

5. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I'm diggin' your wood....:confused:
    Wood is good.

That padauk is very nice. I bought a calico padauk bookmatch top from Larry that looks similar to that. Cheap and sweet looking, I think.

Can't wait to see the progress!

6. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Thanks, mine was cheap too.. And I think it looks pretty boutique :)

Here's a pic of the latest design, it looks a little warwick-y I guess, but I like it..

[​IMG]

I will start making the neck this week, I hope to be posting some progress pics very soon..

7. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    If you don't mind me asking, How much did all of that run you?

I'll definitely be watching your progress! :D

8. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    You mean how much it cost me right? (I'm from holland in europe so my english isn't to flawless ;) )
    Well all together it costed me 170 euro's.. I guess thats about 200 dollars.. specially the ebony wasn't cheap, it's a pretty thick piece but it was 48 euro's..
    Damn I can't wait to start building, but have to wait till I get the right glue :meh: ..

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Cool looking wood.

When I was at my local hardwood place, I could have spent the entire day there admiring their wood...

Ahem...You know...their selection of exotic woods (lumber, as in "from trees"). :D

10. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Whoops! I just figured out the word 'wood' has another meaning in
    english after seeing the beavis & butthead episode 'the mistery of
    morning wood'..
    I din't knew this until now, I'm from holland in europe so my english
    vocabulary isn't that great.. Maybe the titel for this thread was a
    bit to uhm.. wood :bag: sorry for that..

Ok, this doesn't have to do anything whit bass-building, but I
    wanted to make shure nobody sees me as some kind of
    perverted mind ;)

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    LOL...

Don't sweat it...some wood is worth getting wood over!

12. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    No problem Dood! My signature used to say "i got wood". I'd have never known if you hadn't said anything!
    HOWEVER, it is TOO BAD that you are learning english words/phrases via Beavis and Butthead.
    I do kinda miss that show in some sick way though.

13. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    :D Yeah shame on me, well It's been 2 years since I had english class, so I've got to learn my english somewhere..
    Actually, I think talking around here on talkbass is very good for my english..
    Thanks for being educational everybody! :)

14. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    i have been using padauk for a while (core, tops, necks and fretboards- fretted and fretless). i dont think i will be using it much again. its tone isnt really my thing but the wood looks fabulous. i will give it another chance or two and see how it goes.

if its a neckthrough ... which i assume it is, you will have some color matching issues. red padauk, purple purpleheart, dark brown wenge and ebony. all these colors will be very close to each other near the neck. too many dark colors dont give good contrast.

if i were you, i would use that ash with no padauk. the ash looks good and will have a good color contrast with the wenge and ebony.

15. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Some people like the look and strength of paduak for a neck, but others hate it for the bloodred dust that seems to stick into everything. Also, it may cause allergic reactions.
    Check out LeFay to see some paduak basses, for example.
    You'll be okay with wenge for a neck - it's got a growly tone rich in lows and low mids, and still some brightness up top. At least that's what I feel and so say many people.

16. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Yeah, I was thinking of not using the padauk top aswell, not because of the looks or how it may sound (I don't believe it will have THAT much affect on the tone, since it isn't thick) but because of the carving on the body..
    It will be much easier carving the body whitout the top.. If I did as much carving on the upper horn than on my previous bass, there wouldn't me padauk on the upper horn at all :meh:

I'll see.. First I'll make the neck...
    It won't be a neck-trough by the way.. My fretless bass is a necktrough, but I prefer a bolt-on for a fretted bass..