1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Homemade 1-12" Neo Cab Project

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chiplexic, Mar 6, 2008.

1. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I made this cab last fall after downloading WinISD. The speaker I used was an Eminence DeltaLite II Neo 12". I toyed around with different performance specs vs. cab sizes until I was seeing stars and finally decided to just get out the tools and make something. Worst case it would turn out to be a reference point towards what not to do on the next cab.

Understanding that I wasn't going to end up with a real deep, low end supporting cab at this size, combined with the fact I wanted it to cut through a band mix somewhat, I went with a box outside dimmension: 19.5w x 17.5d x 16d. After I account for the fact the baffle board is recessed, thickness of 3/4" plywood, all the bracing, maybe a bit for the batting and displacement of the cone, I figure the internal volume to be approx. 2.0cu feet.

I used two adjustable vent tubes so I could play around with 3different box tunings. 40hz,45hz and 50hz. The tubes can be adjusted without removing the speaker. I drilled a tiny hole in them and can hook it with a wire bent at the end allowing me to slide the tubes in or out.

The box was glued using PL brand polyurthane construction adhesive. The only metal fasteners I used were brads into the corner dados, finish nails as alignment pins on the internal bracing and screws in back wall bracing. All could technically be removed once the glue dried since the PL is that strong.

I finished the exterior with Duretex paint made by Acry-Tech. Rolled on with a roller they sell at their site for a Tolex type finish look. The thing is that given the price of the paint (smallest amount sold 1 gal.), combined with the fact I foolishly ordered 3 times the grill cloth I needed by not paying attention to the order info, it is more cost effective to actually build 2 cabs than it is to build one.

The neo driver does take a little while to brake in and loosen up. Once it does it has a much smoother tone. I found so far I think I like the 45hz setting on the vent tunes. The sound differences are suttle. But I find the 50hz setting just a bit too mid range harsh. Time will tell as I use it more. Yes it is just a one way cab system. I find the Neo offers plenty of high end definition for my more vintage tone tastes.

WOW I reduced those pictures to "web" sizing but man are they still big !! I can remove and resize if it is an issue?
    IMG_0672. IMG_0678. IMG_0684_1. IMG_0692. IMG_0684_1. IMG_0695. IMG_0693. IMG_0687. IMG_0774.

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Very nice build quality and finishing - pretty braces! I like the joints and clamped and glued construction. The tuning frequency you prefer makes sense based on the WinISD Pro model.

Alex

3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Looks great. How does it sound?

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Nice work. How does it compare to other name brand stuff out there?

5. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    No horn? Not that the DL speaker needs one though, but it would be nice. However, great build. They dont brace them like that in the real world. Should sound great as long as you sealed the cab properly.

6. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Very, very nice.

One question, aren't the threaded inserts for mounting the speaker supposed to be on the inside of the cabinet rather than the outside being that the speaker is mounted from the front? (I am claiming ignorance on this silly quesiton.)

7. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Awesome man. I don't like tweets myself ... considering altering my cabs to just run the woofers full range and disconnect the crossover / tweeters.

Looks great!

Cheers

8. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Excellent work! Very nice! How about an estimate of cash spent to complete the pair.

9. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Well, I did actually start with them on the inside since that would cause a nice sandwhiching effect. But it was tough to start the screw in and tighten it by hand and then wrench without the anchor cleats backing out (annoying). Also the screw is much easier to start from the flanged side since it has a funneling effect towards the hole. Hole alignment was more challenging than I would have expected and I didn't want any warping/twisting force on the speaker frame.
    What I ended up doing was using very short allen screws and flat washers on the inside and tightened so to suck the anchor down, being sure to make it close to flush with the baffle so no air could leak under the gasket. Then I had an easier time with them staying in place as well as starting all the screws.

A gasket also came with the rear connection plate so air tight it is. Nothing else penetrates the box.

Sound: I really like the response from the Neo speaker. As much crisp highs as I like from a cone and it is smoothing right out the more it wears in (as many reported it would). The low notes are sufficiently tight. It's got great punch. I'm really surprised at how loud it is. I run only about 120watts max from an 88' GK 400rb into it @ 8ohms and it causes dust to fall from the rafters down cellar and the house to shake. With all the bracing there is little energy lost. Total weight by the way is 33 lbs. Two of these together would be very interesting in a band mix.
    I had intended to build 2 and put the DeltaLite Neo in one and the Eminence Delta Pro 12" in the other. Since Eminence designed the DL II Neo very close to the Delta Pro (which is a heavy weight style magnet) it would be a good test of what audible differences there are between a Neo and old school magnet. But I really like the Neo and it's ability to hold up the high end in a tweeterless cab and still achieve a vintage tone when eq is set that way.
    Thanks for the positive feedback.

10. Very nice finish work. Thanks for sharing pictures of your work. Get some measurements of it, if you can.

Your cab appears to be 3/4" baltic birch plus BB bracing. This is over kill, and 50% more wood weight than using 1/2" BB with light ply bracing. If you are OK with the weight, it certainly will not buzz on you.

It is a real pleasure to see first-rate DIY work.

I built two 1x12 similar to yours. The 2512-II is a very nice driver with a rising high end that drops off at 2500 Hz. You will lose the higher roundwound harmonics unless you have a tweeter.

My 1x12 runs out of 4-string Xmax around 50~60w input power. This makes it OK for a small venue, but it is still a fairly large box for this limited output. I play hard on a 5-string, so I will sell mine as a bare prototype.

A second identical box would make a very nice stack for you.

11. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Great looking cab! Nice construction.

12. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Thanks.
    Cost to complete- I only built one so far. Here's a general cost list.
    DeltaLite II- $96. ($104 after shipping from BLT Sound.)

Hardware, grill cloth and electrical connectors From Parts Express. $64.

Duratex Paint from Acrytech plus their texture roller. $55.50

Sheet 3/4 ARAUCO 7 ply from Lowes approx $34.

What really was a surprising cost was the little nuts,screws and washers for handles ,feet, connectors. approx $25

With the second cab I save the cost of the Duratex since the gallon will do a bunch of these cabs and the roller is reuseable.

Total cost of 1 appox.- $275. The second one will cost approx- $220.
    The two total cost about as much a 1 brand name 1-12. If you need to buy a substantial amount of tools to do this it isn't worth it. Even without buying tools one could argue whether it's cost effective. It's all in the pleasure you take from the project.

13. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    ThankYou!

Dimension- 19.5" wide x 17.5" high x 16" deep (however the baffle board is recessed 1")
    3/4" plywood used.

14. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    Er, I think bgavin meant acoustic measurements ;)

Asad

15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Nice work!

16. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Aaaaah, right you are silly me. My bad. :p

17. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    About measurements, you need a calibrated microphone or SPL meter for an absolute measurement, and you need to do it outdoors. But for a relative curve, a near-field measurement will tell you how close you got to the WinISD model. My little website has software and some instructions for how to do it.

The only drawback is that the near-field curve is not useful above a few hundred Hz.