Homemade 1/4" cables - 16 ga suffiecient?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DiabolusInMusic, Aug 16, 2013.

1. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Just like the title says, I have some extra cable left over from kaing my fEARful and instead of tossing it I figure I will make some cables I can leave at the the jam space. I am assuming 16 AWG speaker wire is good enough for a 1/4" cable connection from instrument to amplifier.

Thanks in advance!

2. I'm sorry but the answer is NO. Speaker cable is unshielded, whereas instrument cable needs to be shielded in order to prevent buzz.

Basically speaker cable is usually like lamp cable with two equal strands of wire side by side, whereas instrument cable has a ground that completely surrounds the instrument's signal, shielding it from interference. You can get by with instrument cable as speaker cable in a pinch (generally not recommended) but NOT vice versa.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Good to know. Thank you.

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Yeahm thatd be good for speaker cable but not instrument. Due to no shielding. Gauge wise, instrument cable is ussually 20 gauge or thinner. 20 gauge would be best choice rather then thinner imo.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021