Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Homemade Autumn Leaves soundfile

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Dave Castelo, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Hi Mr. Dimin!

its me Dave, well i have praised your online lessons and i have been playing "Autumn Leaves" for some months... its been an interesting lesson, i recorded yesterday a humble rendition of your transcription on my pc, in one take, with no Audio editors and that stuff...

i used:
    -Ibanez BTB
    -Zoom 3000b multieffects (for compression)
    -Line IN (i DONT have specialized pc audio card)
    -Total Recorder Software

just a huge mistake at the end and the fast jazz finale was left out because i had to keep the file short (i can sorta play it)

heres the link... if it doesnt work ill fix it tomorrow
    Link Broken, OLD FILE[url] hop...my learning way to a bass player... -Dave!

2. hey dude
    tis good, well done.... i was gonna record me playing it, but the line in on my soundcard doesn't work! :(, will have to mic up my amp :)

its intersting listening to how different people play it

keep goin with it, its a good song to learn
    hopefully u can listen to mine soon

*Si*

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    hey man thanks for the words... yes its great to hear everyones version... i have heard the original just a few times so as you can see its NOT that near to it, but i liked the melody i heard.

hopefully youll get you version recorded and please post it here to listen

-Dave!

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Dave,
    I am flattered that you would take the time to learn my arrangement. I am honored that you would share it with me.

I really think that you've got the sense of it. Your chords sound wonderful; each note rings beautifully and the voice leading is perfect.

I would love to hear you develop your own arrangement of a song and share that with me as well.

Mike

5. here it is
    sorry its big, its horribly recorded to, just a computer mic sitting in front of my amp :), u might need to turn yer speakers up a bit.

What i used : Bass Collection 335 (5'er with high C)
    Hartke B90 Amp
    My lovely computer
    A Horrible mic

i better say that, i played this on the ADGC strings of my 5'er, as opposed to the EADG.

hope people like it, like daves it was done in one take (i was in a rush, was already late fer work), i screwed up a couple of times, but nothing major....oh well :)

any comments extremly welcome

cheers
    *Si*

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Hi!

i really enjoyed working on it, thanks to you that made it available online... im working right now to get a credit card... just to order your cd-book bundle, cuz i know that those lessons are great and the cd is amazing.

thanks for the words... i am still working hard for my playing... i am in fact working on a arrangement of a local folk song called "el sinaloense" that people here in my town love so much... i already got the harmony down but i want to make those details you gave to some of your works... you are truly a great influence on me

-Dave!

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    hey si bob... i downloaded the zip file twice but it seems to be corrupt or something... i cant open it...

:(

i dont know if theres trouble for everyone else

8. ok, sorted it (hopefully)
    heres the new link, please re-read my previous post to remind yourself of the details :)

Simon Poulton - Autumn Leaves

*Si*

p.s.
    just so u know, it should be 1:59 long

9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    OMG thats beautiful! that high C sounds great and gives it a total new approach (sounds like a guitar and bass playing separately)...

also the speed was just right... mine is kinda slow down (as the original... but also because my fretting hand is still in development)...

so hands down! your version is so much sweet

ill try to change mine to your tempo and feel

10. hey dude
    i agree that the high C gives that extra bit of clarity :) i'm very happy with this set-up at the mo.
    i'm glad u liked my recording.....but u shouldn't change the way u play yours to mine, i played it like that cos it sounded right in my head, mike plays it differently still, u should play it the way u like to hear it.
    anyway, good luck, and keep going at it...i am! :)

cheers
    *Si*

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Simon,
    I have had trouble downloading it. If you be so kind email it to me

Mike

12. hey mike
    did u get my e-mail with the mp3 in?, just making sure....e-mail can be a fickle thing :)

cheers
    *Si*

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Si

Got it yesterday. Had a chance to listen to it a few times. NICE WORK. I would have to agree with Dave, the high C shounds great.
    I like the work and effort you guys put in. They both sound great and really demonstrate the variqation and complexity that each bring to the arrangement. keep sharing them, please.

BTW Autumn Leaves is on my new CD, Big Droppins, (which si already ordered - thank you).

Mike

14. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    yeah i noticed that in your tracklist and that makes me want to buy the album even more...

i have the money but for some reason people at the bank havent send me my credit card :(

15. hey guys
    thanks for kind words, i'm gonna keep workin on Autumn leaves, try and re-arrange it to incorperte all 5 strings! ;)

Hey dave, do i remember u saying u find it hard to fret chordal stuff....i ask this because i was reading another thread in which u say that your action is set quite high....one of the most important things IMO is to have a low action to play chordal stuff....or a capo :)

cheers
    *Si*

16. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    hey thats so true! i never noticed that... thanks for pointing that out, i got a capo some weeks ago and i guess i have a new use for it!

i knew you needed low action for tapping and chordal stuff but i dont know why this slipped me.

thanks again

17. lazybassass

lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    Mass
    hey! I really love that song and i was wondering where u guys learned it from? did u buy a book or are theyr online lessons(i think dave mentioned them).

18. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
  19. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Dave,
    Thanks again for sharing.

I really enjoyed the variations in melody and harmony as the tune progresses. I liked your chord voicings, especially - GREAT WORK

Mike