1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

homemade bass cab out of a guitar amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman3, Aug 20, 2000.

1. bassman3

bassman3

Aug 18, 2000
    I have a SS '68 Fender Super Showman. The electronics in it are shot. I am thinking of making it into a bass cab. It is a head and cab setup. It is so old that I think replacement parts would cost more than the amp itself. It doesn't work at all, and the last time I plugged it in, it started to smoke! The cab holds 8 10" speakers, 7 of them look ok. It has a open back and the thing weighs a ton. Insted of just letting it sit for some more years, I would like to put it to good use. I plan to have a Ampeg SVT Classic power it. I think all I need is a back for it and some 10" bass speakers. What are your thoughts? -Jack

2. alternative roster

alternative roster

Aug 21, 2000
    what is the price of the speakers compaired to the price of buying a manufactured cab? if you are getting a hot deal let me know.

3. Just buy a used SVT 810 cab. They only cost 500 bucks. You arent' going to get speakers for less than 50 bucks a piece anyway. If you put a back on it, the cab is going to sound all boomy if you don't put a bunch of insulation in there and separate the speakers with some dividers.

Just sell your old fender on e-bay; some one will give you something for it.