Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

homemade bass cab out of a guitar amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman3, Aug 20, 2000.

1. bassman3

bassman3

Aug 18, 2000
    I have a SS '68 Fender Super Showman. The electronics in it are shot. I am thinking of making it into a bass cab. It is a head and cab setup. It is so old that I think replacement parts would cost more than the amp itself. It doesn't work at all, and the last time I plugged it in, it started to smoke! The cab holds 8 10" speakers, 7 of them look ok. It has a open back and the thing weighs a ton. Insted of just letting it sit for some more years, I would like to put it to good use. I plan to have a Ampeg SVT Classic power it. I think all I need is a back for it and some 10" bass speakers. What are your thoughts? -Jack

2. alternative roster

alternative roster

Aug 21, 2000
    what is the price of the speakers compaired to the price of buying a manufactured cab? if you are getting a hot deal let me know.

3. Just buy a used SVT 810 cab. They only cost 500 bucks. You arent' going to get speakers for less than 50 bucks a piece anyway. If you put a back on it, the cab is going to sound all boomy if you don't put a bunch of insulation in there and separate the speakers with some dividers.

Just sell your old fender on e-bay; some one will give you something for it.