Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Homemade bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boomerang, Feb 24, 2002.

1. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    Im ready to buy a "guitar building" book and start my own bass project. Has anyone else done this, meaning built a bass totally from scratch? (not a warmoth project). If so how hard was it, and can you post some pictures. The shop teacher at my highskool is a bass player so i will have access to any extra tools and knowledge at hand, but how difficult is it to pull of? time isnt much of an issue with me

I plan on making my first one out of low end wood before investing any real money, i already own most of the tools necessary so there won't be much lost if it fails. So anybody out there do this as a hobby? im really interested.

thanks

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    that's a great adventure, man. i higly suggest you to do so. hope the best!

3. I made a guitar body. No the neck though, I already had one. Its not to hard as long as you have access to a good skillsaw, planer, and router. I made mine out of ash with a lacewood inlay down the center, and it came out great.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
  5. Bassmouse3

Bassmouse3

Nov 12, 2001
    Valby, Denmark
    Hi there boomerang!
    I think you just said the keywords by mentioning that time isn't much of an issue... Patience is everything! Apart from that, it is as Hambone has mentioned before, not exactly rocket science. There's been a few threads on this, try a search!
    I'll give you a link to the musical instrument makers forum, where both Hambone and I often reside:D It is a great vault of knowledge:http://www.mimf.com
    Although I've built quite a few guitars and basses, I am by no means an expert, but I welcome you to contact me for advice! I could only find out how to read me own PMs...:confused:
    As regarding to pictures, I'll get some up as soon as my dad receives his digital camera:)
    I'll be back soon!
    Best Regards,
    Bassmouse3.