Homemade beltsander/radius jig

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jworrellbass, Mar 21, 2011.

1. jworrellbass

jworrellbass Commercial User

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    Owner, builder: jworrellbass
    If your like me, you've probably been wanting one of these;
    G0574 Radiusing Sander
    but I don't have an extra $1200 to buy one. So I decided to build my own. It took a few tries but it works.

beltsander1.jpg
    beltsander2.jpg

The driver drum and front drum I ordered from Grizzly
    H6019 Serrated Rubber Drum 3.5 x 6 x 1
    as well as the 80" sanding belt.

The frame is made from 1x4 oak, glued and screwed together and the top is a piece of 3/4" mdf. The motor is from a old drill press, the rest of the hardware I got from a local Ace store.

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    That's great John, just like the one they sell at grizzly. Nice adaptation. ;)

3. rdrr

rdrr

Mar 29, 2005
    Newburyport MA
    brilliant_medium.jpg

I see the turnbuckles for tensioning the belt but what are the knobs on the front for? I'm currently working on plans for a thickness sander but one of these wont be that far off. Can you give us any more info on how you put it together and things that you'ld do differently? I've thought about something like this before but I was planning on using 80/20 erector aluminium for framing it out, but those pipes look to be a bit more cost effective so perhaps I'll go down that path instead. Great work.

4. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Very nice. What exactly is acting as bearings for the swing motion? Do they allow for the shifted arc when doing a compound radius?

5. jworrellbass

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    I don't remember what they are called. It looks like an eye bolt with a bearing inside of it. The bearing has a hole in the middle of it. It will swivel any direction. If you look you'll see a stop piece going across the end of the belt. I made the FB attachment long enough to touch it, it keeps it from moving from end to end. When it's running I only have to move it side to side.

The knobs on the front hold a piece of 1/8 plate steel. During my early builds on this the belt would wonder and I was tring to keep it from coming off. When I change the belt I raise it up and then lower it before I start it up. As far as what I'd do differenty, I would just buy a belt sander. This was a pain to get right. I started to take pic's along the way, but my ideas changed quite a bit along the way. The pipes are just cast iron plumbing pipes. I drilled and tapped them every 2".

Thanks JC, the Grizzly one is much prettier. :)

6. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Just like in society John, pretty gets noticed, but rarely preforms the task sufficiently.(Thouh the grizzly one works well)

7. How much did it cost you to make?

8. BassCycle

BassCycle

Jan 6, 2006
    Temecula, CA
    Builder: Classic Bass Works
    Nice jig!

9. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Ok, you're pivot pieces are what's generally called rod ends, of the spherical ball type. And just what the application calls for.

10. jworrellbass

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    It's hard to say, I bought a bunch of hardware that I used on the earlier versions that are just sitting on my bench. I would quess about $200-250 for the belt sander. The radius jig was a one time build, everything worked like I thought it would. It was $100 in parts.

Yes, that's what they are. I almost went back to the hardware store to check. :)

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021