1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Homemade Browne Fetted/Fretless.. could it work?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J. Crawford, Apr 4, 2009.

1. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV

In that link, Johnny has the 13th fret and above fretless. Is this something I could have done? I have a fretted PEavey NTB Ridge that I love, but this design would be killer and different.

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Yes, but IMHO, the main advantage over pure fretless is for playing chords in the register between the 7th and 12th frets. Obviously the tapping, etc. is facilitated, too.

However, that really lovely fretless tone he gets in the uppermost register is a tone you can have all over the instrument if there are no frets. Just sayin...

BTW, fun clip, thanks for that.

3. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Thanks Jim!

I know than can be a full bass tone, but this is something know one else has done/done. IT would be sweet. Play the low end below the 12th, solo above it.

And youre welcome for the clip, its in my favorites. Def in my Top 10 YouTube finds.

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

Kramer did it in the early 80's.

5. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    My bad. I wasnt even around in the 80's. ;)

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    IIRC, the Browne design has the height of the fretless part of the fingerboard equal to the height of the frets. Simply defretting half of the neck would leave the action quite high on the fretless portion of the neck.

7. Big logistical +1.

8. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Ah, the one thing I never took into account. This was more of an idea, and obviously not a good one.

9. There's also a video of the half-fretless 8 string NS stick here:

http://www.stick.com/onlinevideos/

edit -- bottom 4 strings are fretless, top 4 are fretted. Also has stereo outs.

10. blubolt

blubolt

May 18, 2005
    Turlock, CA
    would it be a huge stretch to add a thin veneer to the fretless part of the fingerboard? a nice thin piece of rosewood and some top-notch wood glue - a few clamps and some blocks for holding it in place as it dries. Am I over simplifying things here?

11. http://solidbodyguitar.com/brown4cocobolo.htm

Graphite reinforced Hard Rock Maple through body neck with dual action truss rod
    34" scale length Ebony fingerboard with elevated Phenolic fretless section
    Mother of Pearl inlays
    Modified oil finish
    Hardware: Black
    Pickups: EMG 35DC with 18 volt preamp
    Controls: two volumes, pickup selector, Locking 1/4" Chassis Jack, 3 band EQ, sweepable mid, variable high to mid switch

12. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Hm...

13. Cronos from Venom's done such a thing for quite some time.

14. As was said, the appeal of John's instruments is how well the action flows from one side of the neck to the other, the only way you notice you have even switched is by the sound.

I have played the basses, they are absolutely fantastic. They deserve the price tag that they command. They are on par with the foderas and Ken Smith level designers. And they are all still completely hand made by him and his single assistant in his cottage home. Much like Jens Ritter. These basses are bashed for their high price tag because people think he attributes it only to their "Gimmick" appeal. But it's because the sheer quality of these instruments is so high.

Sorry for the rant. I was just going to do some defending of John before people came out to bash him...

15. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV

I would never bash John! He makes one of the basses I dream to have someday!

I just simply wondered if there was a poormans homemade version. No disrespect to Johnny, at all.

16. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    This is something I wish I could have, but toally off topic. :smug:

I thought this thread was dead, anyways.

17. I've a Cort PJ I've been waiting to defret this way- I'm still waiting for new pickups, and I plan to add a little fuzz circuit I designed inside, but when I get to it I think I'll be using some layers of mylar tape on top of each other till the fretboard is as high as the frets. This way you can also use roundwounds...

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    "Hey dude, what's your fretboard made out of?"

"Tape."

:D