1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Homemade double jazz bass pickup wiring question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by UNCLE SUSAN, Nov 11, 2018.

1. UNCLE SUSAN

UNCLE SUSAN Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Hello all,

I have two, no name jazz bass pickups that I have already sawed the inside mounting parts off and have wired to two DPDT minis with the second mini for single coil access when the pickups are in series . I am wishing to achieve a series/parallel/single coil function from the switches but whenever I flip the main switch down (from series to parallel) it gets super thin and the second mini (for single coil) acts as a kill switch. The diagram I am following is as follows. WD1H10_05_WB__36412.1487884870.500.400.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. UNCLE SUSAN

Jan 8, 2017
  3. One of the coils is being shorted out in the parallel position, you'll just have to figure out which one.

Maybe one of the pickups is faulty, have you checked them each individually?

4. UNCLE SUSAN

Jan 8, 2017
    Oh yeah, they work just fine, they're actually louder than any of the name brand pickups I have. They're jazz bass pickups but instead of individual poles it's a solid rail.

5. Check the switch. Remove all the leads & test between points, not only to make sure they're making contact, but also to make sure they're isolated when they're supposed to be.
    or, since you've got a heap of them, just try a different one

6. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    What I found useful for understanding the wiring was draw out a separate wiring diagram for each position of the switch. Then you’ll understand what it’s doing electrically instead of blindly following a recipe.

I’ve been thinking of doing this too so I’m looking forward to hearing about the results. Post pics if you can.

7. UNCLE SUSAN

Jan 8, 2017
    Yeah, I was going to unsolder all the leads and try some new minis. I cleaned all the extra solder off but the casing to the minis was a bit melted.

8. If it's melted badly enough it could be making contact where there shouldn't be.

AudioTaper likes this.
  9. UNCLE SUSAN

Jan 8, 2017
    I've got it just about figured out with the exception of a couple of misplaced wires. They work in series it's just any other switch position is either super thin or non existant.
    Will post pics asap.

10. UNCLE SUSAN

Jan 8, 2017
    Definately gonna throw some new ones in then.

11. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    May have already been said but thin sound is maybe out of phase.

12. UNCLE SUSAN

Jan 8, 2017
    When I say thin I mean its almost not audible. I think I just need to change the toggles and switch the lead/ground to the opposite terminals on the toggle.

13. It could be correct in the series position & incorrect polarity in the parallel position.
    That would give you those results.

14. UNCLE SUSAN

Jan 8, 2017
    I've narrowed it down to the ground/lead of the south "coil" being reversed. I will test after I'm off work to see. I will replace the toggles just to be sure as well.

15. UNCLE SUSAN

Jan 8, 2017
    Update: So I replaced the toggles and switched the south start and south finish around and now I have full access to series, parallel, and single coil. Works awesomely.
    Hope this helps for future double jazz enthusiasts.

16. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Would like pics and info about the sound

17. UNCLE SUSAN

Jan 8, 2017
    Sure thing. I replaced the EMG MM5 passive Musicman with these two no name single coils from Ebay, maybe $25 for the set, well worth it IMO. In series these things are LOUD and really warm and dark even with the tone maxed. It's seriously louder than any of my other basses, active or passive. Series is probably my favorite with an even balance of mids and highs and slightly scooped bass. Single coil (south) sounds very throaty and cuts through about like any jazz would soloed on the bridge pickup, lots of highs. Sorry if my description isn't very...descriptive. hah.
    Also, I've got it all hooked up to a concentric volume/tone with a 250k for the volume and the 500k for the tone.
    I like how they're all Van Halen'd out all mismatched in the pickup cavity lol

Attached Files:

craigie likes this.