1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

homemade eq pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by triantafyllos, Oct 28, 2013.

1. triantafyllos

triantafyllos

Oct 28, 2013
    hey everybody i am new here!
    so i would like to make my own eq pedal but i got no idea what it needs ! so plz help
    thanks

2. mrbell321

mrbell321

Mar 26, 2012
    N. Colorado
    Most EQ's are fairly sophisticated and your question is pretty vague.
    How many bands do you want? What sort of controls would you like? Do you want boost or just cuts?
    and the question all DIY guys hate(including myself), why not just buy one?

3. triantafyllos

triantafyllos

Oct 28, 2013
    i wanna do it my self just to get some experience at creating pedals
    lets say.... 6 bands with boost (a simple one)
    and what is DIY ?

4. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    DIY = Do It Yourself.

A 6-band EQ is NOT a simple circuit, and does not lend itself to home-built construction. An EQ uses a lot of circuitry because there has to be a pass band filter circuit for each band of EQ. So there's 6 identical circuits inside. A two or 3 band EQ would be simpler and easier to DIY. A Danelectro Fish'n'Chips EQ pedal is only about $30 US and will be as good as anything you can build yourself.

Good pedals for first time builders are either a boost pedal or a fuzz.

5. mrbell321

mrbell321

Mar 26, 2012
    N. Colorado
    I'm going to agree w/ Crater here, and add that boost makes things more complicated because it almost requires active circuitry.
    Also, a caveat: 6 bands is alot of knobs to fit on one box, which is why EQ's usually use sliders, but those are usually harder to find and more expensive.
    But all is not lost if you really want to do this:
    The simplest "EQ" you could build would be a low pass filter(essentially the tone knob on any passive bass). You'd need:
    A box.
    A footswitch(if you want to turn it on and off...)
    A poteniometer.
    A Capacitor.
    2 1/4" jacks.
    It's easy to figure out the circuitry(look at a P-bass schematic and learn about basic passive filters). I'd recommend you build it first(remembering that you want to expand it, so don't drill any holes you don't want later), just to get some soldering, drilling and basic circuitry under your belt. However, it's not very interesting, nor is it really useful.

So, you could do an adjustable band pass which might qualify as a 2-band. The above would just be an RC low-pass circuit, but you could add in an RC high-pass filter. So 2 bands, 2 knobs, and an extra capacitor. More useful, but not amazing.

It gets interesting when you want to learn about boosting. You could stick w/ the two band boost and make it active, but to be really fun would be a 3 band. You'll need another knob, several op amps(or a dual or quad chips would help here), but most importantly, you'll have to learn about op-amps and feedback networks. There are volumes written on this, so start reading around.

The first two circuits could get you started quickly and you can keep adding to the original so you don't have to keep buying boxes and knobs.

6. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    Here is some information about a 6 band graphic eq:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/projects/18-eq/46-6-band-graphic-eq

The PCB's are no longer in production but you can find a layout for a 5 band version (with boost) here:

http://www.sabrotone.com/?p=99

There are also plenty of DIY EQ projects that aren't pedal specific that could be adopted for pedal use with some modifications.

I'm currently planning a 4 band EQ myself. Its not too hard but there is usually alot of wiring and components.

Don't build one for the cost savings. Build one for the challenge.