1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

homemade Neck thru BC RICH WIDOW bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JMAN-pro, Oct 24, 2009.

1. JMAN-pro

JMAN-pro

Oct 24, 2009
    afew pictures of my UNFINISHED homemade neckthru widow bass (led 12 fret marker) w/preamp and two 25k pots for preamp, grain and blend.

DSCF8004.

DSCF8005.

DSCF8006.

DSCF8007.

DSCF8009.

DSCF8012.

DSCF8020.
    DSCF8021.
    DSCF8022.
    DSCF8023.
    DSCF8024.
    DSCF8025.
    DSCF8026.

2. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    put it in one post dude.

3. roccobladr

roccobladr

Aug 17, 2009
    *** just happened in here?
    clean this **** up brah

4. JMAN-pro

JMAN-pro

Oct 24, 2009

What do you mean? im going to put a flamed maple top on it so it can hide all the dents

5. You seriously need to read about posting pictures,and rules and stuff. I mean seriously?? 10 posts for pictures.

And what did you make that bass out of? 2x4s from home depot?

6. JMAN-pro

JMAN-pro

Oct 24, 2009
    well im sorry, i new to the talk bass thing and i dont really know how to do this stuff :meh:

7. Thats why there are 5-6 different stickys at the top of almost every sub forum to show you how.

8. JMAN-pro

JMAN-pro

Oct 24, 2009
    okay, thanks

9. JMAN-pro

JMAN-pro

Oct 24, 2009
    sadly, yes i did because its my first bass build and i dident know what wood to use, so u used some spruce.:bawl:

10. JMAN-pro

JMAN-pro

Oct 24, 2009
    could you give me some tips of what woods i should use?

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    JMAN-pro, I've corrected all of your image paths, put all of your pics in your first post, and deleted the excess posts. This type of post usually goes in the Luthier's Corner, so I can move it there if you like.

12. JMAN-pro

JMAN-pro

Oct 24, 2009

okay! thanks very much! i dont really know what to do with the whole image thing, i just joined like 2 hours ago so yeah:meh:

13. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Don't let it get to you - scratch building basses ain't easy, and you are tackling quite a project. It's probably a good thing to use less expensive woods until you figure out some of the techniques involved. You might try posting this in the "Luthiers" form here and ask for some tips. They can save you a LOT of headaches, time, and money.

Obviously pay attention to the pictures thing ...no you know.

14. JMAN-pro

JMAN-pro

Oct 24, 2009
    okay, thanks, about the picture thing, when i so the [​IMG]

15. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Like Dark Horse said, don't mind all the other "oMfG thatS 2x4 CRAP!!!!"

Building a bass from scratch is much different than buying a loaded jazz bass body off of ebay and throwing a warmoth neck on it. :rollno:

All In all.... I say, good first try!

Keep it up. Seriously. :cool:

16. JMAN-pro

JMAN-pro

Oct 24, 2009
    Thanks, The next time i build a bass is gunna be I buy a crapy cheap bass offline, and use the parts and get wood from guitar website, because I have learned LOTS since i buit that bass.:smug:

17. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    looks like its coming along nicely.

Its a good idea to use cheap wood to experiment with building basses on first anyway, don't want to go screwing up a nice bit of wood because you don't know what you are doing.

18. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Wow. Where to start? JMAN, as a BC Rich nut myself I can tell you that when you are ready you will want to use a solid 16/4 piece of flatsawn Sugar Maple for the neck and either Koa for the wings or EI Rosewood stringers with Maple wings for the early 80s prized period of BC Riches.

This fast-grown pine wood will not be stable to ensure a playable instrument. I encourage anyone to build but I encourage you to further hone your woodsmithing skills before moving forward.

19. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    Smarter to practice and hone your skills on "home depot" lumber than really nice hardwoods that will make you cry when you mess up. Keep at it and experiment and comb through the luthier's corner. Before long you can up your materials to something that will produce a playable bass.

20. Hi.

Cool work. Seriously.

That reminds me a lot how my first one looked like. Back in the -84 :).

Instrument builder snobbery is something that You have to live with, but don't be discouraged by it. Take my word, it's just not worth it.

You'll laugh at that first creation when the years pass, but you'll also appreciate all the lessons it taught you during and after the build.

Using cheap woods is the best way to learn, both technique- and construction-wise. IME/IMHO only of course. That applies to all fields of crafts, not just instrument making.

Keep at it, no matter how some tries to push You down.

Regards
    Sam

Edit:Thanks to Bryan for helping a newbie to get his TB experience a smoother start.