1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Homemade Neckthrough Refurb

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bolophonic, Jan 2, 2012.

1. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    A friend of mine gave me a sad homemade neck-through project that his friend had started in the early-70s and which had fallen on hard times in the last 10-15 years. It is an 8-string guitar which I am hoping to turn into some sort of short scale bass.

4987252f.

2. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    A photo of the headstock with oddball mass on the back. You can see the classic thick layer of bar top poly that probably adds a pound to the overall weight.

f4e119d6.

3. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    That looks like a fun project. What's the scale length?

4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    25 1/4" scale as is. I might replace the fretboard and make it a longer scale. There is a gigantic tremolo route in the front that I am going to have to work around in order to install a bridge.

5. 25 1/4"? that's crazy! That's shorter than a strat!

6. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Let's just say this whole thing is weird.

7. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Ok. Next up is a photo of the truss rod, which is sticking out about an inch farther than it needs to be, am I right?

Any suggestions on how to start removing the fretboard? I have brainstormed a way to make this thing work!

8. But on the bright side it's longer than a Les Paul. ;)

BTW... depending on what you're looking for in tone, even this 25" scale bass doesn't sound too bad:
    Quest Short Scale Bass - YouTube

9. Blue

Blue

Jun 19, 2004
    Central NC
    I think it's cool .. and can't see the top but maybe you could put the bridge w _ a _ y in the back ... wrap the ball around ... and get that scale up to more a normal number.

10. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I am waiting to post photos of the front, due to the fact that this thing is currently a total disaster. I did figure out a way to get the scale to 28" while working around the current constraints (routes, carving, etc.) Thanks for the support!

Diogenes, thank you for that link... I have never seen a Quest bass before. It's weird to me that they put the bridge in the guitar position when they could have made it longer scale by placing it in a more bass-like position. Either way, I want one.

Can anyone give me advice on the best way to shorten the truss rod?

11. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Ok, so my hunch was correct that there was something interesting going on under all that poly and stain. I am re-working some of the contours and making the broken horns into something that matches.

d503c980.

12. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    If you do remove the fretboard you'll be able to remove the truss rod and replace or relocate it.

Did you already do Jazz pickup routes, or is that what was used at one point?

13. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    It was originally routed for the jazz pickups.