homemade picks

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by stonedbassist, Apr 11, 2002.

1. stonedbassist

stonedbassist Guest

Mar 16, 2002
    Face it, some styles of music just HAVE to be played with a pick. I dont like it any more than you. But what if there is no pick to be found? Have you ever carved your own picks? Personally I found that bag clips from hot dog/hammburger bun bags work great, or even pogs.

Remember pogs? their back... in Alf form.

-Edit-oh yeah, old school ID's work great (or expired credit cards, but I dont have any)

10 points to who can tell me what cartoon this is from.
  2. red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    i used cut up storecard on my granmothers once
  3. i've never had this problem.. i've ALWAYS got a couple of picks in my wallet.. :)

3mm stubby
    0.55mm pick ( for rythem / solo stuff on guitar.. gotta love 'em )
    1.14mm dunlop ( pink ones )
    1.3mm sawfish

b.t.w. we were on a gig once, when our guitarist forgot his picks.. he used a plastic chip, which they use in casnino's, as a pick :) worked great after some modeling with my pocket-knife.. was also the most expensive pick in hystory i think.. $ 20 picks :D
  4. The Simpsons-Bart Sells His Soul

where bart goes to millhouse's grandma's house to get his soul back and finds out he's traded the soul for pogs (god i'm a nerd:eek: !)

BTW my guitarist always has loads of picks so i just nick his
  5. Drivers license, bank cards, id cards, coins, floppy disks, bits of wood, stiff cardboard, plastic of a number of sorts, shells, heavy paper clips, tyre rubber, you name it.

You can use pretty much anything the right shape.
  6. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    English lesson of the Day(tm):

"their" != "they are"

I have a "home made" pick. A drummer friend made it for me... he cut it out of a broken cymbal. It's the same shape/size at a standard guitar pick; however it's mind-numbingly stiff and has wonderful attack.
  7. i took a plastic gold star off a nativity set that went on top of some big christmas tree in a gig ..... it is very very shinny and when you play with lights on you it looks like im playing with fire or sumpthing.. .. well it did in the pictures people took....but the gold foilish stuff on it got on my strings and to this very day i find the random speck of gold on the body and such every once and a while
  8. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    the metal tab on the lid of a coke can. perfect shape :p
  9. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    on a camping trip my cousin realised he didnt bring any picks, so he carved one out of a milk carton.. worked OK but sortof stank after awhile
  10. when i do play with pick, which is quite the rare occurance, i play with a super thick purple dunlop 3 mm. It's huge, so i don't lose too much thickness to my sound. You'll seldom see me using picks though.
  11. of course, that really doesn't go along with the post. i i used a quarter once to play guitar. the electronics started to melt!
  12. last year when i was in year 7 in music we did a little unit on the guitar (sounded horrid....thirty out of tune acoustic guitars being played with holes in them and missing strings....but thats another story.) our music teacher used those dragon ball z tazo/pog things that you got in chips for awhile....someome almost started crying once because he recognised a part of his as being a rare one that he needed to complete his set. not a happy puppy.
  13. stonedbassist

stonedbassist Guest

Mar 16, 2002
    good job wotnwhy! 10 points to you, plus 5 extra for telling which episode. now we need to think of a game to use points in.... how about... no that wont do... or maybe.... naw.... hmmmm.... think of a game, i'm too tired.
  14. I'm working on making picks out of the top of a tin of Altoids. I've screwed up a couple times, but I've got one now that has edges that aren't incredibly sharp, has a good shape to it, and sounds pretty darn good when I'm playing with it.
  15. If I need one at a gig I'll just take a quarter out of my pocket and use that.
  16. isn't they're = they are?
    there is ..."look over there"
    their is....."that's their pick"
  17. Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    you have named the correct episode, but the quote is incorrect... it should be:

"remember Alf? he's back--in pog form!"

ahem :)
  18. ummmm...... i didn't quote

i was just saying what happened

19. Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    i know... it was stonedbassist's error... he dared misquote the simpsons! ;)
  20. i think i might have to give myself a wedgie for not picking that up!