Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Homemade Pickup Invention

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by RockabillyBoy, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Hi, Im to cheap to afford a real pickup right now, so i am using a homemade one with parts from radioshack... but what i need is to think of something to hold the 1/4inch jack onto the strings at the bottom. i know what they look like on real pickups and on my last one i just used a peice of card board, but i made a new pickup and i dont want this one to look stupid, and i need something more sturdy than cardboard...Any ideas of something i can use down there to hold it on?

2. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Drill a a thin piece of aluminum to mount the 1/4 in jack. Bend the edges so they fit over the strings. A cable tie may also be useful.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Just use a small piece of wood.

If you can finish it so that it is the same color as your bass then you are really in luck.

Peace
    Nick

4. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    I have to be honest, i never understand how can somebody cant save $100 and have a decent pickup for double bass.....i use schertler which is really expensive but before i had K&K, fishman , underwood, fishman...
    if you are really into playing the double bass, just save some$$$ and have a decent one....
    im not rich, no way,i live by my bass playing, however, at the end of the month, if theres some $ left , despite my wifes's screamings , i always try to find something for my wood baby..
    its just a question of if you want to sound good or not..

NUNO

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    You can do it with a couple of cable ties.