1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Homemade pizza (only serious TBers, actually I will allow a couple goofy TBers)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ImNotJoel, Jun 21, 2014.

1. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Jan 12, 2014
    Connecticut
    I can't take full credit for this I got it from a cook book but it's good.

I buy the dough, throw it in a hot frying pan once it bubbles and feels firm throw that frying pan in the oven and broil it. Makes the crust nice and crispy.

For the sauce just tomatoe sauce and paste, Italian seasoning, a touch of red wine vinegar, salt pepper, a little sugar, garlic powder (if no garlic powder use less Italian seasoning and adobo).

Let's hear it TBOT, how do you make your pizza (don't say order it).

2. ComposedFiend

ComposedFiend

May 30, 2013
    Am I not allowed to say, 'order it'?

3. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Jan 12, 2014
    Connecticut
    I didn't say you weren't allowed I just said don't say it.

The next order you make may have some trouble as toppings.

ComposedFiend likes this.
  4. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

Jul 27, 2009
    Tomato puree and paste, light sugar, olive oil, garlic for the sauce. Mozzarella and a little cheddar. Pepperoni and fresh mushrooms.
    For the crust, sometimes fresh dough, sometimes Pillsbury.

5. Innocuous

Innocuous In Memoriam

May 5, 2014
    N. E. Ohio
    We are talking about making a antipasto pizza. I'll post the results after we eat it.

Last year my wife wanted me to make pizza on the grill. I kept making excuses because I thought it would make a horrible mess. Finally gave in when she said she would clean the mess if it happens. Bottom line she was right. we have since enjoyed many grilled pizzas.

ImNotJoel likes this.
  6. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Sounds like pan pizza. Hmm, where have I heard that before?

Just kidding. I have a pizza stone but have never made my own pizza on it. Just put frozen-food pizza on it.

edpal and DwaynieAD like this.
  7. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Homemade all the way! I'm actually doing that for tonight's meal. I make my dough, but I tend to use sauce from a jar. Here's one I made a while back with thinly-sliced leftover Tri-Tip.

pizza - tri-tip 10.15.13.

edpal, placedesjardins and James Hart like this.
  8. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Jan 12, 2014
    Connecticut
    I am in an opposite position I used to eat grilled pizzas as a kid but never made one myself. I am convincing my fiancé grilled pizzas good maybe this this week I will make one.

Please do post the results of you antipasti pizza, damn I'm hungry now.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    homemade dough (flour, salt, oil, yeast... like I use to make when I worked in pizzerias)... I like to top it with Ricotta cheese, leafy greens that have been cooked down in a pan with some fresh garlic and seasalt, fresh mozzarella, and some raw thinly sliced onion. If I'm making a red pie, I just use some of my homemade tomato sauce... my English mother's basic recipe tweaked with my years of training in Italian restaurants. It is still basically hers though, it has always been my favorite flavor... my wife is Italian and she hates eating her family's cooking after tasting mine :D

edpal, natw42 and ImNotJoel like this.
  10. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Jan 12, 2014
    Connecticut
    Pan pizza yeah that sounds exotic.

A lot of people though make pan pizza just by tossing it in the oven at 425 to 500 degrees the crust just doesn't crisp the same.

11. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    I've never made pan pizza. But I used to make pizzas at a restaurant. Tossing dough in the oven just bakes it. Pre-frying the dough sounds like a good idea. I may try that in an iron griddle I have.

12. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Jan 12, 2014
    Connecticut
    Yeah an iron griddle would be perfect. As you know being a former pizza maker those ovens are like seven hundred degrees so the surface will crisp. As you said a domestic oven just bakes it pre frying then broiling takes it near a pizza oven quality at home.

13. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    This may sound weird, but a pizza made in an Blodgett oven tastes as good as a brick-oven pizza.

14. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Jan 12, 2014
    Connecticut
    Doesn't sound weird at all. They wouldn't sell Blodgett ovens of they couldn't produce near or equivalent results.

15. Huge homemade pizza fan. Make our own dough, sauce ect. Usually we make a BBQ sauce pizza, we make our own BBQ sauce. Lately we have been doing some pesto sauce pizzas, haven't tried making out own pesto yet.

We have a pizza stone and use the oven. If we had a grill, can't because of living in an apartment, I would use it. When we have a house, I plan on building a backyard, wood fired pizza oven.

lowsound

16. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Jan 12, 2014
    Connecticut
    I love BBQ pizza when it's done good. If you got a good BBQ sauce don't hold out on us.

17. Well, I don't make it as much as I combine a store bought whiskey one with some sriracha and call it homemade. I also fry some garlic and sweet onions in butter and spread that around as well.

lowsound

18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Which pizza toppings are best for metal?

19. RandalPinkFloyd

RandalPinkFloyd

Jun 3, 2012
    Has the goofy TB quota been met? If no, I'd like to submit an application. I love homemade pizza. My last 2 attempts were failures though. I struggle with the dough. May try your idea OP.

ImNotJoel likes this.
  20. My key for the dough is to oil the stone and sprinkle it with cornmeal.

I roll my dough, anyone here toss it?

lowsound

fraublugher and RandalPinkFloyd like this.