Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Homer Mensch

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by pedro, Jan 26, 2004.

1. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Has anybody here studied with Homer Mensch? If so, where, how long, impressions, personality, teaching style, anything else you'd like to mention.

2. Hi, studied with homer for about 6 years at Juilliard, he is a great guy and teacher. He is by far the best bassist i have ever heard. He is a very demanding teacher who really has great bowarm technique. He is great as an orchestral and solo instructor. and a great friend. what more can i say...

3. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Thanks Kurt. I had long since thought that nobody would reply to this thread. For someone as noteworthy as Homer Mensch I found it strange that there were no former students responding to my question.

Homer seems to be a name (like Miles Davis in Jazz) that anybody that has had any contact with at all with him list first on their resume.

4. no prob! If anyone wants to get a lesson from him, you can contact him through the juilliard school at 212-799-5000 and leave a message with the faculty secretary

5. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    What else can you tell me about his teaching style and methods? Any particular 'pet peeves' that you wish you would have worked on more before your first visit with him? How does he progress his students?

6. He is great with beginners thru advanced players. He likes people to be prepared with whatever they bring in as much as possible. He also likes it when students take notes. He workes differently depending on the student and what the student needs... he does not have a set way of teaching. He likes to give a lot of etudes and pieces to work on as well as scales and arpeggios. He always has ways to improve every aspect of bass playing.

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I didn't realize he was still teaching.

8. yep, he is still going strong. a student of his won the ISB competition in his age group. Tomoya Aomori. This guy has a recording contract with sony i believe and he is only 17 or 18

9. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    I studied with Homer at Juilliard in the 70's for five years. He is a great gentleman in just about every way. He is especially helpful, as someone already noted, if you work hard and come prepared to lessons. Homer can teach a turnip how to play the bass. If you will be studying with him, your time should be very rewarding.

Neil