Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Has anyone here been homeschooled themselves as a kid or homeschooled their own children? And does anyone have any homeschooling links that are not politically or religiously motivated? I am thinking of taking my younger son out of school and teaching him myself because he is simply not learning anything in school. Partly the school's fault, partly the fact that he has learning difficulties. I am looking for resources.

Thanks for any answers.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    On what school is he now? What are the laws on this in Turkey?

Have you tried an international school, AFAIK those are usually pretty good.
  3. I will be explicitly breaking the law here, but I don't care anymore. I may leave Turkey. He has learning difficulties and needs special attention. He can't get it in a Turkish school, and I don't believe he will in a British secondary school.

Thanks for those links above. Two seemed to be political but the other looks pretty good.
  4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Well... your in Turkey... So I don't know whats available...

I was homeschooled 2nd grade, half of 6th, and then 7th.

The 6th and 7th years I was enrolled in public school... just on a Charter system... I did my work at home, kept logs of what I did, then once a month, my mom went to meet with a teacher at the Charter School offices, showed my work logs, and had to show one sample of work for each day.

I don't think homeschooling is a good idea unless the parent(s) is actually a teacher. My mom could not teach me the math... So I've pretty much had the same math since 7th grade, and I'm a sophomore now... I can finally do it.

If you don't have the credentials, don't do it. You will just get frustrated because you cannot explain how to do it, and your child will suffer...

Also, homeschooled kids tend to be very shy... Make sure you keep your kid interacting with his friends from the school so he doesn't become an invert...

- Mike
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Is a boarding school an option?
  6. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    My kids are homeschooled here in the US where it's perfectly legal and growing by leaps and bounds. When my wife first came up with the idea I was totally opposed to it. I believed the stereotype of isolated introverted religious fanatics. And of course I demanded to know what everyone wants to know: "WHAT ABOUT SOCIALIZATION SKILLS??!?!?" I had always considered homeschoolers to be freaks. It was the hardest decision I've ever agreed to and ultimately the best decision I've ever made. My daughters are 5 and 6. They are socially skilled, academically head and shoulders above their typical peers, and their socialization is controlled by me and my wife, not some snotnosed punk on the playground. Contrary to what you said Mike, you don't have to be a subject matter expert or a teacher. We belong to a state wide homeschool organization, and several local co-ops where subject matter experts teach things in their homes like algebra, chemistry and other difficult subjects to groups of kids. For the plain old subjects there are plenty of curriculums available which allow any parent that can read and has a reasonable level of intelligence to become proficient enough to teach it. My wife is a whiz at the basic skills. I teach science and music. We're even going to have woodshop this year and build some fun stuff. The kids meet several times a week for play groups, field trips, nature studies, and just common interest activities such as art, crafts and music. When they get older, they can participate in the sports and/or music programs of the schools in our district as they desire. My 6 year old is happily adjusted, can speak publicly in front of an audience, reads at a 4th grade level, and is already showing signs of being a math whiz. My 5 year old has shown an aptitude for art and imagination already so we are letting her go in that direction. She dictates short stories that she makes up, we write them out for her and she illustrates them herself. 5 YEARS OLD! I am by no means slamming public, private or parochial schools. I am the result of public school and I lived to tell about it. It's just that public schools cater to the weakest link a lot of times. My 6 year old would be bored out of her skull in a typical first grade class and would eventually lose interest and dummy down. Instead we custom tailor her education for her needs and interest, while also insuring that she can pass the annual state test, which she will be able to do standing on her head. We can also incorporate character studies and teach things like integrity, honesty, doing the right thing etc.. An added plus is that once you take all of the BS out of a school day, it amounts to around 3hrs of class time. They're done by 11AM and the rest of the day is playtime. We can take vacation whenever we want and go to the beach or Disneyworld while everyone else in stuck in the classroom and have the place to ourselves. My oldest daugher is 23, and while she now admits that public highschool was a wild fun time of raves, drugs, truancy and sex, she completely envies her little sisters for having this opportunity. Not for everyone, but good for me. I'm sorry that it is illegal where you are. It's has a huge following here in North Carolina USA. We're freaks too now. Ok, off my soapbox. Best of luck to you.
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    We have a son who is a freshman in high school. He asked us to be home-schooled. My wife and I are working on it right now. Before we even tell our son yes, we want to make sure that we are qualified to be teachers. Qualified, and committed to making it work.

8. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    A bit off topic: If you home school does a % of your tax dough still go into schools?
  9. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    I go to a boarding school (though i don't board myself) and based on what i've seen and experienced, you should definately keep it in mind as an option for your son.

The only thing i would warn against though, is sending your son to an all boys boarding school. I have issues with all boys schools in general, and IME boys' boarding schools have socially damaging atmospheres, and the work environment is pretty bad. - not my school but the best co-ed boarding school i know of. It's very progressive but still has very high teaching standards.
  10. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.

Here in the US, the answer is yes. We still pay the same taxes as everyone else. This is why we are entitled to have our kids participate in the programs such as sports and music offered by the public schools in our district.
  11. there was an interesting article in the wall street journal or the times the other day on the next thing out from homeschooling -- online education.

i hadn't realized that kids now have the option of attending online schools [thought it was more university and adjunct learning for adults]. the kids interviewed for the article were raving about it, many saying it's what kept them from dropping out altogether. the common thread with all these kids was their sense of themselves as "loners" or outcasts. actually, they all seemed pretty bright and normal to me, but that's coz i was an outcast and loner in school.

just another thought of how you might go about the "homeschooling." it's a bummer that we have to resort to it. i believe in the inherent nature of public education -- but there are heaps of problems with it as we know it today!

just don't get caught breaking the law in turkey, andy. y'know -- midnite express and all that. :D
  12. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    iM hom skoled an iM finE!

I have a t-shirt with "home skooled" written on the front and a sloppy picture of a trailor with three wheels. I wear it to school with my hat with ear flaps and my aviator sunglasses. I don't think the girls have noticed yet. Either that, or they're completely ignoring me. Why would they do that when I dress so cool?

My advice may not be too meaningful because of my young age and my inexperience from life, but I don't think the majority of TB'ers can tell you whether or not homeschooling is a good option because we are not familiar with your country. Personally, I think home-schooling is a generally a bad idea in the US because I think that schools often pose possibilites that students and there parents often ignore. It doesn't really matter where you go to school, it really only matters how much effort you put into your work. That's what determines how well you can succeed in life.:bassist:
  13. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I was homeschooled from 3rd thru 12th, with the exception of 6th grade (we had just moved, and my mom's mom had just passed away). Although I was a straight A student for quite a few years, and could read well above my grade level, during my high school years I became disillusioned with school. I began to question my mom's teaching methods, and slowed down my curriculem to basically get me out of school with the minimum amount of credits needed. SO, that ultimately hurt me, now I have to do a bunch of GE courses at a junior college. Also, I didn't end up completing two years of foreign language in high school, my mom decided to teach me Spanish for 2 years (7th and 8th grade), then I tried German for a year a half in high school. Problem - needed two years in high school.

Now, my younger brother is a junior in high school, he's doing well with competition (something I think I needed), he might be valedictorian this year, he's doing all honor classes, high 4.something GPA, plus he's in the jazz band. He's gonna be through with a lot of General Ed stuff, as well as several scholarship offers.

Of course, I'm just an average student, good reading skills, average math, poor writing (didn't have to do much with homeschooling).

Know what you're doing before you attempt to teach your kids. My mom's got a Masters, my dad has several including a Phd, but they ARENT exactly schoolteachers, and that kinda hurt their concept about how, and what to teach me.
  14. Thank you all for your input. Good reading.

Boarding school is not an option because (a) I haven't got the money and (b) I think kids should stay with their families.

My son is not developing the academic skills he needs to. What I have in mind is teaching him at home for a couple of years to gain these basic skills and then shoving him back into school at age 15.

I am a's been my job for over 20 years.

The most valuable part of the feedback you have given me is the subjective impressions of those who have been homeschooled. Keep them coming.
  15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    That all sounds great LoJoe. I just hope you don't forget to teach your daughters how to use paragraphs.:D
  16. Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    I would agree that boarding school is not a good idea for younger kids, but I think once they hit highschool it can be good.

I'm at a boarding school and like it a lot. It's also a lot more inexpensive than most, as it is a public magnet school that caters to the whole state.

But under 14 or 15, I definately think that coming home after school every day, or going to school it home is ideal. I know quite a few homeschoolers, and based on what I know, it seems like a great way to go.
  17. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Touche you bastige! :D

Then again, I am not the english teacher. I handle the arts and sciences, music, shop, and PE.

You got me good though. My wife would definitely send me to the Principal's office for that example of lousy composition!

Oh wait....I am the Principal!