1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Homestudio recording

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Sapatown, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    Hello!

So Im recording for 5 days over the weekend. I only have a good monitor headset, beyerdynamics DT 770 ohm 80.

I will have my monitors right after that.

Should I worry that I don't have the monitors under recording?
    Its a whole acoustic project.
    Guitar, ABG, flute, Native drum, vocals etc.
    With a buddy.

We have good gear everything else.
    I will play trough DI/ampeg 810e with PF-800 head to blend bass tone.

I think I will keep a low volume on the recording stage. And then start mixing when my monitors are in place.

Any tips if possible?
    Something I should be prepared for?
    Or is it a simple no problem?

2. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    With acoustic recording, mics are a key component. Type, and how you position them play a huge part in getting a good track. Nevertheless, you have all you need to get high quality recording. It takes a lot of trial and error on mic position, and getting to know the acoustics of the room you;re recording in. Also, mixing down your recorded tracks does take a good ear to which you have, but does take a lot of trial and error to get everything EQed and mixed right. I would say if you have experience in mixing and EQ, recording will be a breeze. But if you have no experience in mixing, that will be your biggest challenge. As for headphones, they do just fine for monitoring and mixing. So, congratulations, you're all set. Best wishes.

Reedt2000 and Sapatown like this.
  3. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    Thank you mate!
    Im happy with yesterdays recording.
    For this project in time I will not be so hard on myself. And keep the perfectionist on hold for a bit.

We will keep on recording for the rest of the week :)

Badwater likes this.
  4. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    That's the way to do it. A little at a time. With some evaluation, you can find what area or areas you need to improve on, and work from there. There is a ton of information on the YouTube on how to EQ and mix, as that will be where most of the fine tuning comes from.

Sapatown likes this.