Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hometown

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by seanm, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Yes.

40 vote(s)
    78.4%
  2. No.

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  1. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I was listening to a song this morning about how you always carry your a little of your hometown with you. And I wondered, how many people in this day and age really have a hometown?

In this context, hometown should be someplace you grew up in.

So a little poll. This is obviously very subjective and is ment to be inclusive. If you lived on a farm but felt close to a nearby town, feel free to say yes.

People from cities might consider their neighbourhoods "hometown".

2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    naaah...

I can't say I do have one.. all nthe places I've lived, I wouldn't really want to live there again, and I don't feel like I have a prt of that with me anymore.

If anything, I claim Washington as my home town *L* the state... not our nation's capital.

3. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    I still live in my hometown, but I always felt that our one-story culdasac (sp?) house was much cozier (again...sp?)

4. I lived in Baldwin, NY (long island) my whole life, until 4 years ago when I moved a whopping 5 miles away, to the next town east of it. Anyone from the area?

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    Burlington NJ is where I call my hometown.

been there since age 2. i'm 18 now.

6. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    Air Force Brat. Hometown unknown.

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I was born 10 miles from where I live now in Dallas, so yeah D-town is my home.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Say-town is mine.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yup, Norwich, CT. I grew up there, same house my whole childhood, moved out to a town 40mins away when I went to college, moved back to Norwich five years later to move into a new artist-in-residency apartment complex, moved to Ohio two years later, moved back to Norwich AGAIN a year-and-a-half later,, and I've been back here for another year-and-a-half.

Now I'm about to buy the house I grew up in :meh: I don't even really love the town or anything- I liked Cleveland a lot more- it's just that all of our family is here (and nearby), and family is pretty important to us.

10. I lived in this state all my life. Its pretty small, so I guess it could be considered a town area.

11. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Yup, Lafayette, California. Unfortunately, it has the become the bedroom community of choice for selfish, clueless, culturally useless corporate sycophants that drove housing values beyond rational explanation . I will return, by God, and when I do. . . . . . . .

12. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Yes, my family immigrated to Chicago in 1973 and I lived there until 1994. I consider Chi-Town my hometown, and I visit quite often.

13. Yep. Hamilton, Montana. Where I lived for 19 years.

14. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I had one.... until August 29th.

:(

15. You can take me out of Texas, but you'll never take the Texas out of me. :cool:

Lived in the suburbs outside of Houston my entire life.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have lived the majority of my life in Lacey, Washington. I still consider Altoona, Pennsylvania my hometown. I was born there, it will always be my hometown.

-Mike

17. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Antwerp baby!

18. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Tough call, but I voted no.

To me, a hometown is someplace you could always go back to & feel at home... Other than where I am now, I dont feel that way about any other place I've lived.

19. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I moved every 3-4 years on average so I never had a hometown. :(

20. If I'd had to pick something, I'd have to say Gullegem (that's Belgium:)).

But to me, a hometown is more of a town you've been living in for so long you know every little street, every corner, every shady shop... I've been living here for all my life (all but the 2 first years anyway), and I still suck at giving people directions :eek: But that's because I don't know any of the street names.