Honda Civic question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pedroims, Dec 24, 2015.

1. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Anyone knows how to disable the auto lock feature that kicks in when driving? I would like the doors to lock when I press the lock button on the remote, and the doors to unlock when I press the unlock button... only when I press the button... as opposed to have the car lock the damn doors by itself when I start to drive. It drives me crazy to always have to unlock the doors when I want to take things from the back for example...

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I'd imagine there's a way to somehow hack into the cars computer to do that, but I don't think it's an option that you can just turn on or off.

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    I think it's considered a safety feature as my Ford Escape does the same thing ('12 model). As to how to fix it, that's for someone else to explain :)

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Don't the doors unlock when you put it in park?

5. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

It IS considered a safety feature. My Acura doors unlock when I turn the key off.

I believe that this is all programmable by the dealer. Ask your service tech.

Immigrant and pedroims like this.
  6. What's the problem? It doesn't unlock when you press the unlock button?

Seems to me like your car already does what you want it to do, with the added benefit of providing additional safety in the event of a crash.

Good luck getting a major safety device turned off by anyone! Lawsuit much?

7. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Yes, they do. Or should, anyway. I own a 2008 base model.

8. Before anyone else posts, give the OP's 2nd and 3rd sentences a good hard read and think about them for a moment before posting.

DO IT!!!!

9. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    Upon reading again, I caught a possible innuendo
    take things from the back
    . Really hoping that wasn't it. :meh:

10. DOH!

I never saw THAT!

twinjet likes this.
  11. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    I think I missed it, then!

12. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    This used to work.

• 1. Open the driver’s door and put the shifter in Park.
    • 2. Turn the ignition to On (II).
    • 3. Press and hold the lock side of the master lock for about five seconds until you hear two clicks.
    • 4. Within five seconds, turn the ignition to the Lock position.

pedroims likes this.
  13. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    No, they stay locked and if I use the remote to open the doors, one click will open my door but I need two clicks in order to open passengers doors :(

14. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    How this can be a safety feature? In a case of accident the damn door will be locked , the last thing I want in case I need to leave the car immediatly, I think.

15. It adds structural integrity by keeping the doors from flying open when you get nailed.

Trust me, it is a GOOD thing.

deal with it

16. bogus

When you pull the lock release it also unlocks the door.

It can be reprogrammed to unlock all the doors with a single click.

But if that is really an issue, you might want to consider joining a gym.

17. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    The door wont unlock unless I click the remote or the unlock button that is located at the door, it wont unlock all doors unless I click or push the button again, the problem is that I never know when the door will be unlock, this is the first time a car give me this kind of trouble, it acts very erratic, I was hopping somebody here knew how to disable this feature or at least make it work more normal but seenms that I am going to need to paid some cash to my friends at the car deales :(

18. Hit google for this issue. If it is a common problem there should be a fix posted that you can do yourself.

19. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    That's a safety feature, I expect you will not be able to over ride. One click opens the door and lets you in without unlocking other doors that a pursuer may have access to.

EDIT: Well, I'm wrong, see next post!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  20. sissy kathy likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021