1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Honda Element - Thumbs up?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassturtle, Jul 18, 2007.

1. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I noticed some other people talking around here about the Element and I've been checking them out recently. So, tell me about them. I've never been inside one, but I like the reviews I've seen so far. The pictures make it look like it has really decent cargo and seating space...that correct? Also, I've noticed that they're sometimes listed as 4 door wagons, but they all look like they're two door with the reverse "truck" style back doors.

2. My only grip is they need to paint ALL the body panels :meh:

3. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    They have 4 doors that close in a clam-shell fashion. The back seats have a surprising amount of legroom and can fold up against the sides of the inside of the car or be taken out completely for more cargo room. If you remove the headrests on the front seats, all 4 backrests can be laid back to form a makeshift bed which is nifty, but I don't think I'll be spending the night in one really. Gas mileage is not as good as say an Accord because of the less than stellar aerodynamics, but they're good nonetheless. If you do get one, spring for one with the 15" rims. They make a huge difference in the ride.

A couple of the things I don't like about it is the arm rests. We have a '04 model and the rests seem freakishly low for my tastes. Very uncomfortable for me on long trips. Second, there is a huge amount of torque steer that is also annoying so a light foot at take-off is a must.

Other than these cons, it's a good car overall. Here's my wife's '04. Please disregard the POS next to it...it's a rental and that's another story altogether.

[​IMG]

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I owned a 2004. I could almost fit the whole band in it minus PA and I had a 610 cab at tthe time.

It's Honda, it will last a long time. My only complaint is that it ate tires about every 28000 miles.

The seats fold up out of the way and even come out. I want one again but they are not car seat friendly when you have to face it backwards. That's why we got rid it.

I miss mine......I have CRV now but I still want an Element.

Because it has that rubbery non carpet stuff it easy to clean up too.

Edit: The stadium seating also rocked in it. Man I miss it.

5. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV

You can get that on the newer models. Straight colors.

6. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Those are nicer and I totally dig the stadium seating! It's even better with the 240 watt sound system!:D

7. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Then Honda would have a reason to charge $5k more for their product!!! :spit:

Their prices are high enough!

:edit: wow, the Element is actually quite reasonable. I take it back!

the Ridgeline is still crazy expensive for a V6 truck.

8. bassturtle, I think you'll find a pretty sizeable contingent of E fans here at TB. Best gigmobile, EVER. :)

I've got an '03, haven't regretted buying it one time since I drove it off the lot in Oct. of that year. There are some definite improvements over the past couple of model years (I really like the integral seatbelts for the front seats that are in the newest versions!), but even mine is awesome.

What I like about it is:

Headroom! I'm 6'2", and I've got about 12" of good headroom in the driver's seat.

Cargo space. As I've said before, you could practically put a Scion x(Element-wanna)B INSIDE the E. ;)

Easy maintenence - NO CARPET! I just take a bucket of water and a couple old towels out to the car once a month or so and wipe the floors, doors, & dashboard down. Carpet STINKS after a few years of heavy use. :spit:

Reasonable gas mileage.

It's a Honda, change the oil every 5K, and you'll drive it for life.

Only thing I've ever griped about is that when you're up on the highway in a crosswind, it's squirrely - big flat sides act like sails.

...that's why we road-trip in the missus' Pilot instead. :cool:

9. Eh, I actually LIKE the unpainted body panels. I think the "P" models ("P" for "painted" quarter panels) look silly.

:bag:

Not to mention, the unpainted quarter panels make SENSE. Most "dings" on a car are on the quarter panels, with the unpainted ones, you just unbolt the dinged panel, toss it, put a new one on, no hassle.

10. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    It keeps you on your toes during a 40mph crosswind.

11. You get what you pay for. They're well made, VERY reliable, and well engineered.

I've owned all kinds of cars, VW's, Volvos, Fords, Chevy/GMC, and NONE hold a candle to the Hondas in any way.

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It's true; you can't beat the Element for a gigmobile.

I'm a fan of the gas mileage - I can haul all my band crap (and I mean all of it) and more in 4WD and still get 26-28 mph on the highway. Sweet. Honda relability, gobs of room (especially headroom - I feel like I'm in an F1 car in my fiance's Civic), with nice features.

I liked the no-floormats at first, but I think I might pick up a set just because I miss having them.

Mine's been named "The Belafonte"
    fc759136.

13. I love my Element. Bought it new in Sept. of '03. As others have said, it's a great gigmobile and a lot of fun to drive. Doesn't get the best gas mileage, which is more of a consideration than it used to be, but it does OK. The newer models have some nice upgrades from the one I'm driving -- side air bags, iPod dock, more storage space, more cup holders, etc.
    I must admit, I really dig the solid-color look, with the body panels painted. Especially silver, and that neon green color. It reminds me of a Reverend bass. :bassist:

14. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Naah.
    They just need to build the car out of either ALL metal, or ALL plastic.
    :D

15. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Ugliest vehicle ever manufactured. Even uglier than the Pontiac Fiero or the Ford Pinto.

16. Ugliest would have to go to the Pontiac Aztec :eek:

I need to check out he P model Elements.

17. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Not as bad as that stupid new Toyota Land Cruiser thing. Tacky.

18. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Edsel comes to mind, Ford F-150, AMC Pacer and Gremlin, Pontiac Aztec, etc. Hell, Plymouth/Dodge produced nothinig but ugly cars in the late 70's to well into the 80's so hardly think the Element is the ugliest vehicle ever built.

19. tommyr01

tommyr01 Simma Down Nah ! Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Tucson, AZ, USA
    I have an '07 and I LOVE it! I will just +1 on everything everyone has been loving about them. The gas mileage, the inside room, stadium seating, sound system, etc.

here she is

View attachment 63843

Spector_Ray, you were mentioning the armrests, Honda makes a bigger armrest that is higher and opens up for storage. I have one on the driver side, very kool.

here is a pic of it

View attachment 63844

20. Tommy...any idea if that armrest is available as an aftermarket part?!?!?! :D Man, I'd love to have something like that....